Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I have a 667MHz Titanium PowerBook at home with the broken hinges, and I wanted to turn it into an appleTV (stream audio, video and photos to it from other computers to play on the TV), as it hardly ever gets used as a computer anyway.

A couple of questions;

-Would the AirPort card in it be fast enough to stream video? I'm not sure if it is the b or g standard, and i've heard b isn't fast enough to stream video.

-It has an IR receiver at the back of the computer, is there some way I can make this work with a remote, such as the Apple remote?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
The TiBooks use the b standard. The Apple TV requires g or n for wireless video streaming, so if you plan to use your TiBook for similar uses, your machine might not be up for the task.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
You could always get an external Wireless G USB dongle for it, and even a 3rd party remote, I know Kensington has one that comes with its own little IR receiver.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
Get it fixed?

You said you don't use it much as a computer and I could assume that part of that reason is that the hinges are broken. One of my hinges broke on my Tibook last year and although it was already 3 months out of applecare because of either my amazing prowess or more likely the fact the hinges on tibooks have been a problem for a long time, apple fixed it for free, infact they just replaced the whole screen and sent it on back on their dollar. A few months after that happened one of my professors had the same problem but with both their hinges, and her computer was even older then mine and sure enough she sent it into apple and they again fixed it on their dollar after i suggested to her to call them until they did so.

So... if i were you I would call apple or write them a very persuasive letter and ask them to fix it, as an avid mac user I'm sure it wouldn't take much convincing or nudging as I know of 2 success stories.

After that rant, I would either continue perhaps using said computer as a computer again, or, if you want a media center, list your powerbook as soon as you get it back on ebay, advertising the new hinges or screen, probably pick up about 400 or 500 dollars for it (I have someone interested in my 800mhz right now [i'm upgrading to a macbook pro] for a little over 600) and purchase a new mac mini (or an actual itv) for a video hub.

That's just my 2 cents :) goodluck!

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
You said you don't use it much as a computer and I could assume that part of that reason is that the hinges are broken. One of my hinges broke on my Tibook last year and although it was already 3 months out of applecare because of either my amazing prowess or more likely the fact the hinges on tibooks have been a problem for a long time, apple fixed it for free, infact they just replaced the whole screen and sent it on back on their dollar. A few months after that happened one of my professors had the same problem but with both their hinges, and her computer was even older then mine and sure enough she sent it into apple and they again fixed it on their dollar after i suggested to her to call them until they did so.

hmm... might be a good idea... i'll try that on Monday. Thanks for that! :)

I'll have a look into the infrared stuff as well. This might actually work... :D

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
actually, that brings up a new question; is there any way i can upgrade the card in it?

Thanks for the links, guys. If i do any mods to it i'll keep you all updated :)
Even my 550 MHz Ti had a PC card slot; so I think yours as well. You can just pop in the Mac compatible Wi Fi card (with G or N). Before I sold my mint Ti, I used Belkin's WiFi card without any problem.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
You could always get an external Wireless G USB dongle for it, and even a 3rd party remote, I know Kensington has one that comes with its own little IR receiver.

Those older TiBooks have USB 1.1- not USB 2.0. So a g-rated usb solution would not work as the bus is not fast enough. A pc-card solution would work though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.