Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackhawk2006

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Hi all

i have a ipod nano at the moment and i am planning on getting either the latest ipod out in the summer or the 80gig video in the summer...for now i would like something which holds say a 100 or something songs that i can easily take to the gym or college ...

i am not going to get the newer shuffle mainly because i dont really need to shell out more money than the 1st gen 512mb shuffle.

your opinions will be grateful

Thanks

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Um, okay...I'll recommend a first-generation shuffle, but it sounds you already know exactly what you want. I have the 1 GB version and love it...I take it with me almost everywhere I go.

Blackhawk2006

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
seeing as they arent really sold new anymore ... apart from ebay and other sellers ... would a refurbished shuffle do any justice ... well i mean .. would it be just as good and fully working

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Absolutely...nothing wrong with Apple refurb. Terrific opportunity for a good deal. I only see the 1 GB model in the store right now...$59. The smaller model may show up again, but I haven't been following things there to see if they've had the 512 MB model in their recently.

hamholio

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2006
I bought two 512 shuffles refurbished on apple.com about a week and a half ago for $29 each -- they weren't there when i initially entered the refurbed page, only appearing once I hit refresh, and they were gone virtually immediately after I purchased them. If you see one there, definitely buy it!

I love it -- it's great for using on walks (I listen to audio books on it) and I love the all in one design, something that I hope they bring back sometime. Having it in your pocket, it's easy to tell which direction it's facing, due to its long shape, making it super-convenient to use the controls without even looking. I can't imagine the new shuffle being as easy to use in those regards.

I am impressed by the size and weight (and price!) of the new shuffle, but a bit put off by its reliance on the dock to plug into the computer.

I've had a 4g ipod for two years, and loading music on the shuffle has baffled me a little. I wish it were more ipod-like and less automatic -- I've deleted the shuffle a few times because the external hard drive containing my itunes library was disconnected.

Blackhawk2006

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
okay thx for all the replys and i have purchased one myself :)

cant wait but i need to ask this:
does it come with headphones .. cd etc
and do i have to install it again using the cd that comes with the shuffle or can i just plug it in and start dropping songs onto it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.