Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Hi guys,

I think I am just being dumb and not able to figure out how to sort the files/folder by the type in Finder. Meaning it'll be sorted by type of the file (Folder or file) before being sorted alphabatically.

Anyone can help?

Thanks!
Chris

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
If you want it sorted by type, with each type being sorted alphabetically, then click View -> Arrange by -> Name, then Arrange by -> Kind.

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
Is the option Snap to Grid on? If It is, check it off, and then try to check the Arrange by box.

cy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Where can i find the snap to grid? I checked preferences, view options, it's no there to be found. I am viewing the files as a list, btw.

mim

macrumors 6502
Where can i find the snap to grid? I checked preferences, view options, it's no there to be found. I am viewing the files as a list, btw.

If you're in list view, go to the "View" menu in the Finder menu bar, and choose "Show View Options". The shortcut is Apple-key+"j". Make sure that the columns you want to sort by are checked - e.g. if you want to sort by file make sure the "Kind" column is checked.

Then back in the finder window simply click on the column name to sort by that column. It will highlight in blue to indicate that it's sorting that field, and will also display a small arrow to show if it's sorting in ascending or descending order.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
If you're in list view, it's a pice of cake. On the top there are tabs (name, size, last modified, etc) Make sure you have "kind" enabled in view options :)apple: + J) and just click the tab! :)

cy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
i do not see any of the mentioned options when i do Apple+J :(

Screenshot attached

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 133

cy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
That's because you're in column view. Switch to list view and you're good to go. OS X Can't sort by anything other that filename when in column view yet

LOL. I am so sorry, good that i posted a screenshot out. I always thought that was a "list view".

Problem is now fixed...thanks for all the help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.