Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NsK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
I just switched from pc to mac...I used to use TextPad on pc to do my homework for java programming...i find it very easy to use as it can compile and run within the program.....unfortunately, TextPad doesn't exist for mac but is there anything similar to it for Mac....simple program that does the job. I just try Eclipse and it looks complicated for nothing...anything more simple??? what about textwrangler??? one thing I like about TextPad is its color coded and it also says what kinds of errors its happening...

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Best thing to use for JAVA programming is jGrasp. It is multi platform, will allow you to run you app within it and can be set to assist with formatting.

You could also utilize Terminal, and from that use the UNIX 'vi' app. It is very simple, although some of the editing codes take a little getting used to, but I use it in places you aren't allowed to install your own apps.

TEG

kaylee

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Australia
I haven't really done any coding since I finished university, but I always used to use SubEthaEdit (you can find version 2.2 here which is free for non-commercial use). However, I always much preferred to use a good text editor and compile/run from the command line than to use an IDE, so if you really want an IDE then SubEthaEdit may not be for you.

scan

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Despite what you think of Eclipse (right now), I like Eclipse the best. Its the one everyone uses here at my work. It may look complicated, but it really isn't, and its really powerful. Depending far into programming you get, I bet in the long run, you'll switch to eclipse.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
Another vote for TextMate here. Awesome awesome app for all kinds of programming. If you jump between various languages (in my case HTML, CSS, Javascript, Actionscript, etc) it's invaluable to have the formatting and color-coding handled so seemlessly. And projects are quick and intuitive to set up and organize.

Only downside to TextMate is the glaring lack of a really robust auto-complete feature. Not so relevant if you program regularly, but if you need reminders now and then it would be nice to have. Otherwise, best text editor I've used.

BRUUUCE

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Chicago
one of the main reasons for putting windows on my intel imac was for text pad. i was in the same boat as you, java class and macs dont mix. (the two apps i tried i wasn't thrilled with)

Llywelyn

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
I just switched from pc to mac...I used to use TextPad on pc to do my homework for java programming...i find it very easy to use as it can compile and run within the program.....unfortunately, TextPad doesn't exist for mac but is there anything similar to it for Mac....simple program that does the job. I just try Eclipse and it looks complicated for nothing...anything more simple??? what about textwrangler??? one thing I like about TextPad is its color coded and it also says what kinds of errors its happening...

Eclipse isn't "complicated for nothing." Its extremely robust for development of Java projects. If you are going to use a full-IDE, that's the one to use (or possibly XCode). The ability to use plugins such as FindBugs is a tremendous help. That said, for homework I'd run with something else. At the risk of sounding redundant:

- SubEtha Edit.
- TextMate

SubEtha Edit hasn't gotten much press here so far. Older versions are free for non-commercial use and its fairly bare-bones. I use it alternatively with TextMate depending on exactly what I'm doing.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
one of the main reasons for putting windows on my intel imac was for text pad. i was in the same boat as you, java class and macs dont mix. (the two apps i tried i wasn't thrilled with)

The 25% of the Java CS class that brings their Apple laptops in to class in order to do their programming might disagree with you ;)
We all bring our Macs in and unplug the lab monitors and duel monitor it up in front the class. One of us uses Eclipse, another DreamWeaver, and two more textedit. I'll have to ask them if they have tried much else. We all use the Terminal to compile and run the java apps.

The only thing hindering us is not having Java 1.6. One of the guys solves this with parallels and compiles his apps on both OS's at once...

Xyl

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Despite what you think of Eclipse (right now), I like Eclipse the best. Its the one everyone uses here at my work. It may look complicated, but it really isn't, and its really powerful. Depending far into programming you get, I bet in the long run, you'll switch to eclipse.

Agreed. Actually, if you've never used more complicated IDEs before, you'll definitely think Eclipse is complex (for me it was like that too). But if you force yourself to use it, you'll learn it after one assignment. And it's best to learn it now, because in the real world, you're going to be using something similar to Eclipse, not TextPad...and having knowledge of these more complicated IDEs will be a plus when looking for a job later on.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
another vote for textmate, well worth the money!

Download the 30 Day Trial and give it a try.

BRUUUCE

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Chicago
The 25% of the Java CS class that brings their Apple laptops in to class in order to do their programming might disagree with you ;)
We all bring our Macs in and unplug the lab monitors and duel monitor it up in front the class. One of us uses Eclipse, another DreamWeaver, and two more textedit. I'll have to ask them if they have tried much else. We all use the Terminal to compile and run the java apps.

The only thing hindering us is not having Java 1.6. One of the guys solves this with parallels and compiles his apps on both OS's at once...

that's weird. It's weird to see macs (and ones not running windows) in the school of computer science. usually see macs in LA&S classes. where do you go?

and you're right. i started with text pad and I guess i'm subborn.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
that's weird. It's weird to see macs (and ones not running windows) in the school of computer science. usually see macs in LA&S classes. where do you go?

and you're right. i started with text pad and I guess i'm subborn.

Whitworth College, in Washington state. It's a small department, our school isn't know for the sciences, but all my profs have their PHD and two of them have their own research projects, one of them funded by the national science foundation. [/defend school mode]

I actually find far less bias in my comp sci classes than anywhere else. They give me the normal banter, but another 20% of them use linux or a *nix derivative. They know enough about operating systems not to dismiss OSX.

I will say that when I came in as a freshmen 2.5 years ago that I was the only Apple user in my grade of 25. Since then another has bought one, and a bunch of the incoming freshmen this last year have MacBook Pros or MacBooks. It's really an interesting twist... But what better computer to get if you are learning "The science of computers" than one that can run so many different OS's? There aren't any more good arguments against them on the software side ;-)

But there are those classes where Macs are welcome, and Macs are not. Assembler they are NOT. Internet Apps (when not doing ASP.NET), and Java are two where Macs are just as useful, and sometimes prove a point in classes like Java where the language is cross platform. And one of our Profs is a former Microsoft guy, so he always give you the evil eye when you pull out an Apple. We all enjoy it, really :D

~Tyler

Llywelyn

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003

I went to an engineering school. While there were very few macs in the department proper there were a heck of a lot among the students in CS. Assignments were compiled and turned in on either an IRIX or a Linux server, so MacOS X was viewed as a natural fit.

This was back in 2002 and 2003.

Sancho

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2007
Emacs?

I don't know how comfortable you are using the terminal, but I'll suggest emacs. It is a bit of an adventure for the first month or so that you use it, but once you're up an running, and have customized it the way that you like, it can be pretty amazing (eg writing a class with 10 keystrokes). You can compile from emacs and step through the errors. It provide syntax highlighting and automatic indenting. You can automatically comment/uncomment sections. But again, you'll probably need to carry around a cheat sheet with you for the first while because some of the keystroke combinations needed are not obvious. Actually, none of they keystroke combinations are obvious ;)

syriangamer

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
i like textmate, its a pretty cool text editor. BUT IT SUCKS FOR JAVA!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad: For some reason it wont run anything with Scanner objects which is a PITA! anybody have a way of making textmate run programs that need keyboard input?

rev316

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2004
I love Eclipse but quite often, I find it incapable of achieving simple tasks without involving a complex solution. Textmate is a fantastic psudo-IDE aid.

datastream8

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
Text Wrangler Rocks

I prefer TextWrangler (best free all-purpose text editor, IMO) and Terminal for most things myself, but if you want a very basic IDE, then try BlueJ.

I just wanted to vote for this as well. Just downloaded TextWrangler and it is exactly what I needed - a neat and tidy text editor that highlights with different colors my html writings! Very straight forward - FREE and just drag app file into Application folder! Thanks! :D

sturner0430

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Other Text editors

JEdit, BBEdit, and Oxygen are also good full power editors.

JEdit and BBEdit are aimed at HTML, though JEdit has other language support built in. BBEdit can me configured to use other languages.

Oxygen is available on Windows, Linux, and Mac platforms and is fully functional for Java and XML. I know we used it at HP for WSDL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.