Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maynerd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Holy smokes I don't know why this is so hard to figure out. I have an HP C3180 printer and it prints color. I don't want to use up the color cartridge. I only want to print black and white printouts. How do I set this on my mac?

HELP!

Scottfire

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2007
Man I wish I could really help you out with this but I'm in the same boat as you.
I can tell you this though, you have to do it from Print Set Up on you computer.
I know this is absolutely no help but I noticed no one has replied yet.

iSaint

macrumors 603
File>Print>Paper Type/Quality>Color>Grayscale

Not sure if there's a permanent setting for this like there is in Windows. I use a draft quality, grayscale setting on my suck*** windows 98 machine and HP inkjet printers at work.

Picture 2.png

Maynerd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
File>Print>Paper Type/Quality>Color>Grayscale

Not sure if there's a permanent setting for this like there is in Windows. I use a draft quality, grayscale setting on my suck*** windows 98 machine and HP inkjet printers at work.

View attachment 66757

Yes I just figured this out. You can save a preference and just choose that every time you print. One extra click I guess. It would be nice if you could set a global default for it though.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Odd, when I tried to print, I don't get the Type/Quality option.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 644

Maynerd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Odd, when I tried to print, I don't get the Type/Quality option.

You need to go to the pulldown for copies&pages then choose paper type/quality and I found it there. You can then save a setting and choose it from the first screen in the future.

Patronus

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
For some HP printers you can simply remove the color cartridge, close the cartridge latch (if any) and the printer will adjust accordingly.

Don Brown

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
print b/w default

I am new to this
but would really like to know how to set my printer to grayscale as a global setting for all users the printer is hp3180 on imac os10.5.2
am getting tired of buying expensive color
thanx
dwbro124@comcast.net

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.