Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaaeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Canada
I would like to sort my bookmarks. I mut be blind since I cannot find or see anything on how to it.:confused:

I need your help.

Thank you.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
kind sir,
in you bookmark bar, at your far left, there is a picture of a little book. click on it, and you will have be able to configure just as in itunes, given it is the same UI

for more detail, "To add a bookmark to the Bookmarks menu, open the webpage and click the Add Bookmark button in the address bar. Type a name for the bookmark and choose Bookmarks Menu from the pop-up menu.

To organize the bookmarks in the menu, choose Show All Bookmarks from the Bookmarks menu, then click Bookmarks Menu. Drag items up or down to arrange them. Select an item and press Delete to remove it.

If you add a folder of bookmarks to the menu, it appears as a submenu in the menu. To create a folder, click the Add (+) button at the bottom of the Bookmark column then drag bookmarks into the folder.
To change the name of a bookmark or folder, select it and press Return."

aethier

aaaeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Canada
Dear Sir,

I think you should try it out and see your way does not work. Maybe before posting you should try the simple things first.... I did.... and it does not work.....

Please post solutions that you know will work...

I am sorry for my attitude but I think people should know what they are talking about.

Thanks anyway....

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Originally posted by aaaeth
Dear Sir,

I think you should try it out and see your way does not work. Maybe before posting you should try the simple things first.... I did.... and it does not work.....

Please post solutions that you know will work...

I am sorry for my attitude but I think people should know what they are talking about.

Thanks anyway....

sorry then, but i could not help you

aethier

aaaeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Canada
Ok then, thanks!!!

I wrote to Apple and suggested they add the feture to Safari. Hopefully, they will respond and I will let know the outcome.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
To sort your bookmarks in Safari:

1. Click the book icon in the Bookmarks Bar.
2. Click on either Bookmarks Bar or Bookmarks Menu (Depending on which set of bookmarks you want to sort).
3. In the pane panel with the bookmarks, select a bookmark.
4. Click the + button located below the panel pane containing your bookmarks (The panel on the RIGHT).
5. Amazingly, a new folder will appear in your bookmarks list!

Don't say this won't work, because it does. I have my bookmarks organized in folders and I followed the exact steps. If you don't believe me, I can post a screen shot.

aaaeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Canada
Under IE you can sort by pressing a sort button and it sorts the whole file. I do not want to sort manually.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by aaaeth
Under IE you can sort by pressing a sort button and it sorts the whole file. I do not want to sort manually.

Do you mean alphabetise, how can IE automatically know how you want it to sort? ESP?

aaaeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by Wes
Do you mean alphabetise, how can IE automatically know how you want it to sort? ESP?

It does not ALPHABETISE automatically. You press the SORT button, then it ALPHABETISE's.:eek:

So can you tell me how to alphabetise when we aks to do it.

Thanks.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Since your bookmarks are already alphabetized in IE, you could simply open up IE at the same time as Safari, and drag Safari's bookmarks into the same order as the one's in IE.

It amazes me that people make it out like they are too lazy to click and drag. It'll take a maximum of two minutes.

aaaeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Canada
Thed question was not how much time it takes. The question was are we able to do it the same way as with IE. I guess the final answer is no.
That is all I wanted to know.
Thanks.

cionheart

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Germany
:confused: I've got another Safari question. Everytime I change the start page in the configuration box, Safari forgets it. When I reopen the program this useless Apple/Netscape thing is back. Does anybody know if this is a bug or am I simply doing something wrong?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by cionheart
:confused: I've got another Safari question. Everytime I change the start page in the configuration box, Safari forgets it. When I reopen the program this useless Apple/Netscape thing is back. Does anybody know if this is a bug or am I simply doing something wrong?

Try changing the home page in System Preferences>Internet>Web

irmongoose

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Since your bookmarks are already alphabetized in IE, you could simply open up IE at the same time as Safari, and drag Safari's bookmarks into the same order as the one's in IE.

It amazes me that people make it out like they are too lazy to click and drag. It'll take a maximum of two minutes.

I'm trying out Safari after years of using Firefox. The ability to sort bookmarks becomes more of a time issue if you have hundreds of them, in folders, sub-folders, etc. I don't know about IE (haven't used it in years) but Firefox has the ability to right-click on a folder and sort the contents alphabetically. The idea of using computers is to save time, not waste it by dragging individual bookmarks around to manually sort. The lack of this ability in Safari is a significant oversight. It's a very basic function that should not have been omitted.

IIe

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2006
Detroit, MI
An easy way to alphabetize your bookmarks (or "sort by name" if you've been corrupted by MS) is as follows:

1. Create a new desktop folder
2. Open Safari, click on "bookmarks", then "show all"
3. Select multiple bookmarks. You can do this by selecting the first bookmark, hold shift and then selecting the last bookmark, or to select all entries at once, hit "command" & "A."
4. With the bookmarks highlighted, copy all by hitting "command" & "c".
5. Open the desktop folder created in step 1 and paste all entries into said folder. Here you can "control click," or "right click" if you've been corrupted by MS, and sort by name.
6. Go back to safari's bookmarks, show all, and delete all unsorted bookmarks. They should still be highlighted from step 4.
7. Grab the freshly sorted bookmarks from your desktop folder, select all and drag them into your bookmarks menu.
8. If you can't do that, sell your mac and buy a ***** dell.

sjcabc

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
An easy way to alphabetize your bookmarks (or "sort by name" if you've been corrupted by MS) is as follows:

1. Create a new desktop folder
2. Open Safari, click on "bookmarks", then "show all"
3. Select multiple bookmarks. You can do this by selecting the first bookmark, hold shift and then selecting the last bookmark, or to select all entries at once, hit "command" & "A."
4. With the bookmarks highlighted, copy all by hitting "command" & "c".
5. Open the desktop folder created in step 1 and paste all entries into said folder. Here you can "control click," or "right click" if you've been corrupted by MS, and sort by name.
6. Go back to safari's bookmarks, show all, and delete all unsorted bookmarks. They should still be highlighted from step 4.
7. Grab the freshly sorted bookmarks from your desktop folder, select all and drag them into your bookmarks menu.
8. If you can't do that, sell your mac and buy a ***** dell.

I was looking for an answer to this question and came across your answer and I had to join this forum just so I could post a reply to you. First, you are an arrogant ass. Second, let me say that people were asking to do this in one step not seven. Third, can you come to my house and do the sorting for me... I have a DEll!

jmdilley

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2008
For people who have dozens of bookmarks in multiple folders, sorting them manually may be possible, but isn't ideal.

I started using Saft ($ plugin) and it adds a new contextual menu item in each bookmark folder 'Sort Bookmarks'. I've found it to be very helpful. The only thing I miss from the Windows world is that when it sorts them, it doesn't group folders together. I prefer to have all folders grouped and alphabetized at the top and all bookmarks grouped and alphabetized below that.

Saft also adds additional features which I've found helpful.

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bookdog/

Bookdog (shareware) does a nice job sorting Safari bookmarks.

Agreed. I've been a mac user since Christmas 2007 and I was shocked to find out that "the world's best browser" couldn't do this simple thing. I took for granted that every browser out there had a sort button for bookmarks. Wrong.

Once they're sorted, it's trivial to manually sort them as you add them one by one. But that first time; that first import on your first mac; with hundreds of bookmarks...it had me scrambling to find solution. Bookdog was that solution.

James

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For people who have dozens of bookmarks in multiple folders, sorting them manually may be possible, but isn't ideal.

I started using Saft ($ plugin) and it adds a new contextual menu item in each bookmark folder 'Sort Bookmarks'. I've found it to be very helpful. The only thing I miss from the Windows world is that when it sorts them, it doesn't group folders together. I prefer to have all folders grouped and alphabetized at the top and all bookmarks grouped and alphabetized below that.

Saft also adds additional features which I've found helpful.

A work-around for the folders is to put a space at the beginning of each folder name. That way, when you sort, all the folders will alphabetically sort to the top.

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
My Safari 4 problem, now fixed

I was having similar problems with sorting. Even the simple drag & drop outlined above would not stick. Open Safari, and nothing would change. I even tried deleting them. They go "poof", restart Safari & their still there. :confused:

Finally figured out my problem, which may help others. Even after repairing permissions, there was still a problem with the permissions on the Bookmarks.plist file in the ~/Library/Safari directory.

Doing a GetInfo revealed some "custom" permissions set for "Everyone", even though mine "me" was set as Read & Write. I changed the Everyone to Read & Write, and after restarting Safari all was back as it should be! I could change them, sort them (manually), delete them, etc. And restarting Safari kept them as modified. Interestingly enough, the Bookmarks.plist file then just showed everyone back to Read only, and just me as Read & Write, like it repaired itself.

HTH! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.