Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Hello,

Is is possible over over use your drive until its not working like its use to?

The reason I'm asking is because I've added a few TV Shows to iTune by using Handbrake.

I've been ripping Stargate Atlantis Season 1.
Usually a 42min Episode will take 1h30min to be ripped and encoded in Handbrake.
But... NOW a 42min Episode takes 2h40min.

So have I damaged my drive which is causing it to rip so slowly.

Thanks for any help

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Are you sure you didn't change any encoding preferences?

I don't think ripping will damage your drive, although the drive may get broken over time and this might even happen when ripping a DVD. But ripping isn't much more than reading, is it?

Edit: I'm aware that there's also a lot of processing involved but I was talking about the drive.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
no you are not. Ripping a DVD, CD or anything is the same amount of work to the drive as
Playing a DVD or a CD. The only thing that it is more work on is your CPU.

When you have a DVD in the drive your Optical drive is working 100% of the the time, it does not matter if your are ripping it or playing it, it is the same amount of work on the drive. If anything the ripping is less work on the optical drive than just playing the DVDs because it runs for less time per episode in the long run.

I would check your CPU and ram useages and see if that is increased compared to when you started. You Drive should not be effect by this.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Something has just occurred to me.

I stopped after Disc 4 last night and let it rip Jurassic Park...

Here's what I Posted in another thread.

Other Post
Anyway...
My question is regarding Jurassic Park.

I've used Handbrake to rip Jurassic Park and added it to iTunes, mainly to play through the :apple: TV I've got ordered. But the file (i think and compared to others) is HUGE.

Jurassic Park 2.23gb

The Quality Average Bitrate is 2500.
Audio Sample Rate 48000 and Bitrate 320
Picture Setting - not reduced.

This is the same that I've been using for other movies added to iTunes. They look FANTASTIC on 52" Plasama TV.
Other files and longer moives like Superman Returns is only 1.65GB and I thought that was good for a movie with fantastic quality.

Have I done anything wrong with Jurassic Park?
Are all the other movies I've added going to work with iPod/:apple: TV based on the settings mentioned above?

Could this somehow be related to why it's running so slow. Everything was working fine before I ripped Jurassic Park, it was the file size that was concerning me. But Now its the speed.
Is it just a coincidences that these two happened one after the other?

Thanks

MeWannaMac

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Sounds like in your case it was a simple configuration problem which was resolved by reinstalling.

Its an interesting question if you can actually wear out or break a hard drive simply by transferring data. I would think for normal use it is very unlikely :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sounds like in your case it was a simple configuration problem which was resolved by reinstalling.

Its an interesting question if you can actually wear out or break a hard drive simply by transferring data. I would think for normal use it is very unlikely :)

Yes, but hammering the drive in some of the machines that have poor ventillation will cause problems -- since using the drive a lot for extended periods gets them hot.

And heat is more likely to kill the drive than simply wearing it out though use.

MeWannaMac

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
It is true about the heat killing the drive but doesnt the manufacturer test the device for prolonged use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.