Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Hey guys.. im looking for a Frame by Frame video player, i want to be able to go foreward or backward by a frame using a keyboard shortcut. Currently i am experimenting with a couple of media players.

Mplayer
Niceplayer
VLC

i like mplayer and vlc because they can play anything that i want... but i cant figure out how to get frame by frame, or even if its possible using them

i also like using niceplayer a lot because of its simplicity, and the way it looks.

so if anyone knows how to do frame by frame in these players, can you please let me know, or if there is a dif player that i should get.

Thanks!

The Void

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
Uh, maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but how about a little known app called Quicktime? Maybe it's only a QT Pro feature, but for me, the L & R cursor arrows move the movie by a frame at a time when it's paused. Ditto for Cellulo.

In VLC prefs, you can set the length of a 'very short jump' in seconds. I haven't tried it, but I guess you could set it to be 0.04, which would work for 25fps movies.

I don't know about Mplayer or Nice player.

The Void
Unreturned.

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
quicktime barely plays any of the video files that I have, and I installed the perian plugin, still cannot play most of the files that i throw at it.. dont know why

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
so for me, quicktime is not an option, unless the perian plugin begins working for me.

Yuvi

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
Could you describe what kinds of movies that aren't working in Perian for you (container format, codecs used, etc.)? And maybe point the devs to a sample?

As for frame-by-frame stuff, QuickTime is really the only option. VLC is very stream-based, and would require major re-architecturing of the source to do frame-by-frame stepping. MPlayer can step forward one frame if you hit ".", but that didn't work from the GUI last time I tried, and it has no backwards frame step. Niceplayer will only step frame-by-frame with its QuickTime and Core Video (which uses QuickTime) backends (opt-left/right), the Xine backend doesn't implement this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.