Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
wasnt sure where to put this... so I stuck it here. I used boot camp to install and run windows, but I realize that i need more space for my windows partition, I currently have a 160gb drive, and I gave 10gb to windows. Is there a way that I can add to that 10gb, or do I have to delete the windows partition, and use bootcamp to make a new bigger one? I really dont want to have to do that, but if its a last option, then I will.. Im not sure if this matters, but the reason i am trying to do this is in order to run Counter Strike Source, I only really need maybe another 1 or 2 gb, so...
But yes, I have changed the system restore settings to get the most out of my space, and also i have compressed the drive, I still do not have enough space. If there are any other things I should do to slim up my windows xp please let me know.. Thanks!

I am on a FANTASTIC MacBook Pro.

(one thing that puzzles me is that all I have on the 10gb partition is Windowsxp, and one program that requires 700mb of space, and I still dont have enough room for CS Source.... it amazes me that windows is so large.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
wasnt sure where to put this... so I stuck it here. I used boot camp to install and run windows, but I realize that i need more space for my windows partition, I currently have a 160gb drive, and I gave 10gb to windows. Is there a way that I can add to that 10gb, or do I have to delete the windows partition, and use bootcamp to make a new bigger one? I really dont want to have to do that, but if its a last option, then I will.. Im not sure if this matters, but the reason i am trying to do this is in order to run Counter Strike Source, I only really need maybe another 1 or 2 gb, so...
But yes, I have changed the system restore settings to get the most out of my space, and also i have compressed the drive, I still do not have enough space. If there are any other things I should do to slim up my windows xp please let me know.. Thanks!

I am on a FANTASTIC MacBook Pro.

(one thing that puzzles me is that all I have on the 10gb partition is Windowsxp, and one program that requires 700mb of space, and I still dont have enough room for CS Source.... it amazes me that windows is so large.

i dont know any easy way to re-allocate space between partitions in os x... in windows there's an application called partition magic or something, but i dont know if that has the potential of mess up the HFS+

another thing you can do is, well, do you have an external? i sometimes put games on that so to save space.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
i dont know any easy way to re-allocate space between partitions in os x... in windows there's an application called partition magic or something, but i dont know if that has the potential of mess up the HFS+

another thing you can do is, well, do you have an external? i sometimes put games on that so to save space.

I would definitely stay away from using partitioning tools like that, especially when you're running two different file structures on each partition. Safest, most effective way is to backup and just reformat and repartition the drive.

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
ok... now, i only want to make the windows partition greater.. so do i have to reformat my entire hard drive? including the os x partition? kuz that would suck greately

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
ok... now, i only want to make the windows partition greater.. so do i have to reformat my entire hard drive? including the os x partition? kuz that would suck greately

Yeah because you'll have to repartition your harddrive to reallocate more space - it's not like you can take a chunk of one partition and throw it into the other, because they are running two different file structure types. In other words, yes you'll have to reformat the drive.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Yeah because you'll have to repartition your harddrive to reallocate more space - it's not like you can take a chunk of one partition and throw it into the other, because they are running two different file structure types. In other words, yes you'll have to reformat the drive.

NO, you do NOT have to reformat the entire drive. os x will be saved.

given you used bootcamp, go to os x, open bootcamp, and restore to 1 partition... then restart, then you can use bootcamp to recreate the partition into the size of your desire

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
NO, you do NOT have to reformat the entire drive. os x will be saved.

given you used bootcamp, go to os x, open bootcamp, and restore to 1 partition... then restart, then you can use bootcamp to recreate the partition into the size of your desire

Oops yes, sorry forgot about that - you can restore / overwrite the Windows partition.

Brain dying today.

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Ok.. sounds like the bootcamp option is the way to go.. Since i didnt use windows for anything else other than games, i dont have anything i need to save.. OS X does everything i need it to..

anyways, thanks for the help, and i will go ahead and restore, and then recreate another windows partition... Does anyone know about how long this process will take me ?

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
so im in boot camp assistant, and the option that I want to choose is

Restore the Start Up Disk to a Single Volume

this is the option I choose correct?

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
so im in boot camp assistant, and the option that I want to choose is

Restore the Start Up Disk to a Single Volume

this is the option I choose correct?

I assume this worked for you? If you recall that is. I was searching for the same information because I want to try some games in Windows and possibly upgrade to Win 7, but have not because I made my Windows partition too small.

Could you respond here or PM me? Thanks!

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
A simple rule would be that you cannot repartition a HD that is shared by Windows and OSX

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
A simple rule would be that you cannot repartition a HD that is shared by Windows and OSX

I understand that; my question was more to the OP's experience using Boot Camp Assistant. I may go the same route but think Time Machine would allow me to wipe the computer and start with different size partitions.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010

1. How much space to do think OSX takes up?

2. 10gb is not enough for ANY modern operating system. Several GB of that is gone to a swap file and another percentage is allocated to system restore. Windows XP can be trimmed down to an EXTREMELY small size (relatively) so maybe you could look up how to shrink XPs footprint.

3. You could shrink the Mac partition in OSX's disk utility, then reclaim the space using Window's disk utility. But if you're not familiar with performing this sort of procedure, I'd suggest just going the other route of wiping out your partition and making it bigger the next time.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

No you don't. Run boot camp assistant, delete the windows partition using that, and remake one bigger like you did the first time.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
I understand that; my question was more to the OP's experience using Boot Camp Assistant. I may go the same route but think Time Machine would allow me to wipe the computer and start with different size partitions.

Oh sorry, my post wasn't really directed at you. For what it's worth, I have used the time machine method you mentioned and it does work. It never occurred to me to delete the bootcamp partition from within bootcamp assistant although that should be much more convenient.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Oh sorry, my post wasn't really directed at you. For what it's worth, I have used the time machine method you mentioned and it does work. It never occurred to me to delete the bootcamp partition from within bootcamp assistant although that should be much more convenient.

Good to know - if I ever get around to it I'll go this route. Every time I think about updating my Windows partition I realize how often I do not use it.

Infinitemortal

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2013
If you delete your windows partition to reformat it in boot camp assistant, I'm assuming you lose everything on the windows partition? So you must back it up before it all, correct? Sorry, kind if a noob :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.