Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umdjb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Washington D.C.
Hey everyone,

I am wondering when you want to get album artwork for songs missing artwork on your computer what type of information is sent to Apple? Like, can they determine where you got your music from? Are they investigating on behalf of the record companies?

Thanks

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
LoL...

now that I think of it, remember when OS9 was around and you dled something, thru a browser, it added the URL to the "Get Info>comments", so you always knew where it came from.

at least, I remember my machine doing this.

Though I am 99.99% sure there is nothing like this for Bit Torrent, LimeWire, or the internet itself. MAYBE something adds metadata on where it was created, or thru what app, but I seriously doubt this and would turn down your paranoia or stop dling illegally.

:cool:

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Apple actually does do this. They then send all the information to Major League Baseball, and they use their satellites to broadcast pain rays into your home.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
No (in fact, that would be impossible).

Why, do you have something to hide? ;)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the RIAA could look at file signatures and compare them against the file signatures of songs on the pirate sites to see if the songs had been illegally download.

I cannot remember the context in which it was done, but I am pretty sure that I read about this at some point.

I really doubt that Apple would be a party to such investigations, but who knows? I guess that you could read every line of the EULA for iTunes and your iPod to find out.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Or what if you support the artists you enjoy and don't download music illegally? Then you don't have to worry about getting caught.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.