Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

br00t4l michael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2006
I always take my iPod to school to listen to and keep it in my locker at lunch. Well yesterday after lunch I got back and looked in my locker and my iPod was gone...

..stolen. Sigh, well I guess it was my fault for leaving it in my locker but now I have a problem. Should I go ahead and suck it up and buy a new 30gb iPod or should I wait for the upgrade? Will it be coming soon?
Any advice would help.

Thanks..:eek:

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Do you have the S/N for your iPod? You can call up Apple probably and report the S/N stolen. If they try and take it to an Apple Store to fix, bam, they'll bring up the S/N to see if it has applecare and see the little tag that says it's stolen

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
br00t4l michael said:
I always take my iPod to school to listen to and keep it in my locker at lunch. Well yesterday after lunch I got back and looked in my locker and my iPod was gone...

..stolen. Sigh, well I guess it was my fault for leaving it in my locker but now I have a problem. Should I go ahead and suck it up and buy a new 30gb iPod or should I wait for the upgrade? Will it be coming soon?
Any advice would help.

Is it the iPod in your sig?

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
i dont know how much you use it but i lost mine for a few days last week and i about went crazy.... itd be replacement time for me.

Rickay726

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2005
New Jersey
that sucks, happed to me to it was in my sweatshirt front pocket and so one grabbed it out in the hallway, Sneaky B*stards. i eventually got tried of wiating for the upgraded supposedly touch screen iPods. so i just bought a 5G. 30 GB. im not to excited for the TS iPods anyway. im alrede worried about scratching my screen and have to wory about that hole thing would be so annoying. Plus how often do u watch movies on ur iPod where u need that hole screen?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I would go ahead and buy a new one. The "upgrade" won't come for a while, I expect. Probably first quarter 2007.

Have you checked your insurance policy? My car was robbed last October, lost my camera, lenses, tripod, cell phone, and my 4G iPod, along with all the accessories (charger, iTrip, etc). Somehow it fell under my homeowner's insurance, and all my stuff got replaced, minus a $300 deductible, so I got $900 in the mail, and got to upgrade to a 5G iPod, and got a better camera, too. Check with your parents and see what their insurance covers...

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
cry? That's almost what I did when my goods were taken (see my sig.) Then phone insurance. Actually, the ipod probably won't touch your deductable. Mine only did since there was a powerbook stolen with it. sorry man

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
if it was stolen in school why don't you tell the head teacher blah blah and find the person whole stole it?

intimate body and locker searches might make you unpopular though. imagin all that 'other' stuff that is going to get epople in trouble!

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
fatties said:
if it was stolen in school why don't you tell the head teacher blah blah and find the person whole stole it?

intimate body and locker searches might make you unpopular though. imagin all that 'other' stuff that is going to get epople in trouble!

Have your parents call and then you can blame it all on them if people bitch.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
br00t4l michael said:

Any advice would help.

I've had two stolen: a 1G 5GB and a 5G 60 GB...both were equally painful. I have yet get another replacement. I don't even know if i want one anymore. Thery're just such good targets for theft that owning one is a chore.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
br00t4l michael said:

How did someone else get inside your locker?

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
I have never had anything stolen. With all the third world countries I've been, one learns pretty quickly how to defend against all kinds of attack...
From positioning luggage in a defendable position (like a corner) and sitting in front of it, instinctively putting hands in pockets in crowded places, and being hyper-aware of everyone around me... Yep, I shall do my best to keep the perfect record. </bragging>

Sorry about your iPod though, I hope insurance covers it.

summer

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2006
england
hey my ipod got stolen a few days ago and i reli dont know wat 2 do but i was just wandering wat the serial number and insurance thing is all about? Also how can u get an upgrade does every1 get 1? thank u x x x

DiyosKo

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2007
Omfg

My IPod video got stolen as well.
two days ago.
And Im doing whatever I can right now to get it back.

Calling Pawn shops, Apple, etc.

I mean, people are so low.
Someone grabbed it out of my purse.
And I have my purse with me every second.

And I looked away for one second.
And 'POOF' I look back and my purse was open and iPod was gone!!
I cried. :(

I mean it had pictures of all my friends and family members that passed away. :(

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
My IPod video got stolen as well.
two days ago.
And Im doing whatever I can right now to get it back.

Calling Pawn shops, Apple, etc.

I mean, people are so low.
Someone grabbed it out of my purse.
And I have my purse with me every second.

And I looked away for one second.
And 'POOF' I look back and my purse was open and iPod was gone!!
I cried. :(

I mean it had pictures of all my friends and family members that passed away. :(

Do you have the serial number?

Meatball

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
God Apple REALLY need a kick up the pants to do more about stolen iPods, if they're stolen there's nothing much people can do which is ridiculous :mad: Here's an idea, surely it can't be that hard to implement?:

Whenever an iPod is connected to iTunes it's serial number is read and compared against a stolen iPod database. If said serial number is on the list the iPod is somehow locked out unless a randomly generated password is provided. The date, time and others details of the 'Sync' will be recorded along with any other helpful details to track the iPod down (ip address?) The password would be given to the owner when the iPod is reported. Also all iPods have "owner" information on the "about" page, for if any iPods are lost.

apb3

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
God Apple REALLY need a kick up the pants to do more about stolen iPods, if they're stolen there's nothing much people can do which is ridiculous :mad: Here's an idea, surely it can't be that hard to implement?:

Whenever an iPod is connected to iTunes it's serial number is read and compared against a stolen iPod database. If said serial number is on the list the iPod is somehow locked out unless a randomly generated password is provided. The date, time and others details of the 'Sync' will be recorded along with any other helpful details to track the iPod down (ip address?) The password would be given to the owner when the iPod is reported. Also all iPods have "owner" information on the "about" page, for if any iPods are lost.

You really want Apple (or any company) to do that??? I don't; both from a privacy standpoint (foremost) and as a shareholder of Apple, that would make me more than a bit uncomfortable.

I just re-read that you only want the S/N compared against a "stolen" list... a bit better but it still makes me uneasy.

Meatball

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
You really want Apple (or any company) to do that??? I don't; both from a privacy standpoint (foremost) and as a shareholder of Apple, that would make me more than a bit uncomfortable.

I just re-read that you only want the S/N compared against a "stolen" list... a bit better but it still makes me uneasy.

I don't understand why though? It'll help cut down crime, who's going to want to steal an iPod when it wont work properly? If someone stole someone else's property I think they deserve Apple to have their IP address. I mean yes, people could buy a stolen iPod off eBay etc but with that system in place it'll help eBay identify stolen iPods :)

apb3

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
I don't understand why though? It'll help cut down crime, who's going to want to steal an iPod when it wont work properly? If someone stole someone else's property I think they deserve Apple to have their IP address. I mean yes, people could buy a stolen iPod off eBay etc but with that system in place it'll help eBay identify stolen iPods :)

1) privacy concern: because the potential for misuse/abuse is too likely.

2) as an Apple shareholder: the potential backlash too damaging (remember the brouhaha over the ministore?)

I guess I just don't see the cost/benefit analysis coming out (for me) on the side of giving that info over every time I connect my iPod or having Apple handle the overhead cost and perhaps the financial liability taking such action may place on them when they are unable to get everyone their iPod back after they're stolen...

seems easier for me to be extra careful and to invest in some insurance (I've not done this with my iPod, but my policy does allow me to specifically name "high-value items" for specific replacement - that may help some peole with replacement).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.