Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkjazzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Hello,

I have a core 2 duo macbook pro. I'm trying to record streaming video. Windows has this option where you set your audio imput to "stereo mix" where it records what the output is as the input. However, Mac OS 10.4 does not seem to have this option standard. Do I need special software? If so what?

I'm trying to run parallels doing this since the streaming video is much easier to use in windows than OS X. However, whatever I record, I get the audio recorded from the Mac internal Microphone. I learned that parallels takes whatever audio input setting in OS and using that in windows. So I need to figure out how to get an equivalent of "stereo mix" before I can record like I want. Any suggestions??

Tom

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Soundflower (free) will let you patch system audio into a recording app.

You could also consider using Wiretap or one of the Audio Hijack programs (both commercial), these have built-in recording.

=-=-=-=

Here's how to record your Mac's audio for free. Lotsa steps, but remember that some of this stuff is one time only :)

1. Download Soundflower. Drag the Soundflowerbed app into your Applications folder, then run the installer that's also in the disk image (do it in that order because the installer will require a reboot, and otherwise you'd have to open up the disk image a second time just to grab Soundflowerbed).

2. Grab a copy of Audacity, if you don't already have a recording app you like.

3. Launch Soundflowerbed, so that it's in your menu bar. You can always add it to your login items if you use it regularly.

4. Launch Audio MIDI Setup, in your Application/Utilities folder. Under the Audio Devices tab, set the default output to Soundflower (2ch).

5. Go up to the Soundflowerapp menu and tick "Built-in Audio" (or whatever you normally use) under the 2ch section. Toggle this between that and None, while any old app that makes sound is running, to verify that audio is being sent there (because the output cuts in and out).

6. Launch Audacity. In its preferences, under the Audio I/O tab, set the playback device to built-in audio and the recording device to Soundflower (2ch).

7. You're ready to record. Audacity will turn off Soundflower monitoring as soon as you hit the record button, and instead send its own monitoring out to the speakers (but since Soundflower is its input, it's all the same stream to your ears). After you're done recording, you can re-enable direct Soundflower monitoring again from its menu.

All that's easier done than said, it's really just a few clicks if you take the explanation out of the way. :D

8. When you're done capturing, you can put things back to normal back in Audio MIDI Setup.

[edit: adding for convenience: Over in Audio MIDI setup, one of the things you can do is set Soundflower to be both the default input and output, then Soundflowerbed will let you monitor through the real speakers. ]

=-=-=-=

You can of course substitute some other audio app, this one is a good illustration, though. I'm not really sure what's up with recording a video stream and trying to grab audio separately, maybe you could mention what apps you are trying to use here?

tkjazzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004

well, I have a copy of SnagIt 8.2 for windows AND my streaming video does not work on freaking Intel Based Mac computers within OSX without a ton of bugs. Microsoft makes the webcasting software and use windows media files. However, they do not support flip for mac. So you have to download an old wmp and that causes a lot of glitches while viewing in either firefox or safari in OSX. It all works fine on older macs, but not the new intel ones (this sounds like a combination of webcasting software and browser plug-in updates - aka out of my control)

So it's easier to just view the webcasts using parallels in windows.

However, parallels does not completely transfer the volume recording to windows like I think it should. Mac comes with 2 options stock, internal microphone or line-in. Whichever one you have selected when parallels starts is what you will record from - whatever your settings are in windows control panel, do not matter.

So I was having trouble recording the sound in windows using SnagIt 8.2 since I would only get the video and pick up microphone audio - not the video stream.

The only other option I could think of is get a cable to go from my headphone line to my audio in I'm not used to the icon by the audio in jack so I don't even know what cable to get (again Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo)

If I did use the cable method, I think that I would get a splitter so I could listen on headphones while recording. How do splitters affect the sound quality?

Thanks!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Ok, I'd still try Soundflower first, before cable loops. Over in Audio MIDI setup, one of the things you can do is set Soundflower to be both the default input and output, then Soundflowerbed will let you monitor through the real speakers. By going through Core Audio that way, assuming that Parallels and the apps you are running will cooperate, you can avoid the line noise and resampling hassles from the cable loop.

tkjazzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
i'm having trouble. Anyone else with parallels want to try this with me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.