Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
I have a bad ear infection right now and my ear is bubbling and the ER doctor told me that there is so much pressure behind the eardrum that it may go ahead and pop or bust one night we'll i'm sleeping. He said that it will not affect my ear and will actually make my ear feel a lot better. I always thought that if you busted or it popped that you lost hearing is that true? And if you've had a real bad ear infection like mine did yours ever pop/bust? Thanks for the help.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I had this when I was younger, It is puss on the drum. Hurts like hell to. When it pops it will feel better, He should give you penicillin.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
Well i'm on 2 antibotics, a steriod pack, a sinius medicine and some ear drops for pain. Right now this yellow liquid type stuff is coming out of the ear so I don't know if its the puss or just fluid.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Photos?

And while it's off-topic, I have a really bad rash all over my body right now. I think it's due to an allergic reaction to something, but I once got a rash (hives?) due to ragweed, and it disappeared in a day. I'm taking allergy medication right now and while it's helping, the spots are still there and still itching like crazy.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Well i'm on 2 antibotics, a steriod pack, a sinius medicine and some ear drops for pain. Right now this yellow liquid type stuff is coming out of the ear so I don't know if its the puss or just fluid.

Ooh that sounds nasty - definitely pus.

If your eardrum does pop it'll hurt pretty badly for a bit but the release of the pressure behind it will feel like a cool breeze on a hot summer's day. Yeah, you'll lose your hearing until it repairs itself but the infection should clear up pretty quickly once all that pus and stuff is gone.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I had this when I was younger, It is puss on the drum. Hurts like hell to. When it pops it will feel better, He should give you penicillin.

I had the same thing happen when I was a kid. I had a bad ear-ache for a few days, remember seeing a Doctor for some meds, then that night it stopped.

It felt much better and I slept well. In the morning, I was stuck to the pillow! Yuk :D

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I don't think it's the eardrum itself, if that's what you mean. Swollen membrane around the eardrum can compromise it however. Chances are it won't cause lasting damage but I'm surprised they'd risk it. Why can they not drain it? (I.e., pop the unnecessarily swollen part with a needle)

Take decongestants and call that doctor without delay, to be on the safe side.

edit: Oh wait, I see your second post. Glad you're on antibiotics and sinus meds. That fluid might be draining on its own but I'd consider getting it looked at.

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
Eardrums popped, been there, done that, got the tshirt

My eardrums popped when I was 12.

My hearing is not impaired at all, although my girlfriend is convinced that because my eardrums popped, I can't hear her sometimes... :rolleyes:

God, I'd make a great second-hand car dealer :D

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
My eardrums popped when I was 12.

My hearing is not impaired at all, although my girlfriend is convinced that because my eardrums popped, I can't hear her sometimes... :rolleyes:

God, I'd make a great second-hand car dealer :D

Pardon?...

Nah, you'll be fine. Prolly wont feel much TBH.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
I always thought that if you busted or it popped that you lost hearing is that true? And if you've had a real bad ear infection like mine did yours ever pop/bust?

-falcon1

It is indeed possible to lose a degree of hearing in the ear if it pops, but not very likely - your oval and/or round window would need to be damaged to really worry - you eardrum can heal.

I had a doozy when I was 12 - just like yours sounds like (pun, sorry) and indeed the drum did rupture. When it did it was loud!, but then, the pain immediately started going away, about an hour later, the pain was nearly gone.

'course I oozed like something from a sci-fi movie.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
Well I have had it looked at and their the ones that told me about it busting or popping. Right now it will bubble every now and then, could that be the ear drum popping or something? Also when I woke up this morning there was a little bit of yellow stuff on the pillow and then I fished some more real thick stuff out with a Q-Tip so maybe the infection is working its way out. I'm on like over 1700MG of antibiotic's so hopefully it will do its duty and just drain everything on out or pop the drum.

myfastgti

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2009
Well, coming from an 18 year old...

I was on a plane about four hours ago and my right ear drum burst. I have had sinus drainage for about four days and today was particularly bad today. I had "earplanes" (earplugs for planes), supposed to help, but not for me. But when we rose in altitude. I felt a pop, and then a sound like water rushing or like wooosssshhh, I don't remember if it hurt too bad, but I thought it was the earplane equalizing for me, well it wasn't. My eardrum had popped, the rest of the flight was hell. I don't know if it was the antiquated 737, probably a factor, but I could feel the pain more and more as the altitude changed... This pain is so so bad, probably the most pain I've felt in my life. When we landed, in hopes that my ear plane had worked, I pulled it out to find an almost serous fluid with a small amount of blood mixed in. I called the doctor and here's what I found out. 1. The eardrum heals itself. 2. It really hurts. 3. If there is puss, see a doctor for antibiotics (most likely an ear infection). 4. Eardrums can pop if sinus drainage builds up, this blocks the Eustachian tubes in your ears which make you inable to equalize and relieve pressure. 5. Take 4 tylenol 800 mg will set in around an hour after the incident. 6. Your jaw will hurt as well, a heating pad is working for me. 7. So far, there is still some serous fluid and blood draining out of my ear, I used some toilet paper and balled it up to soak it up, yes, you look retarded if you proceed with my method, but it works and keeps blood off of your face. Oh and another thing, I don't know if mine's different since I didn't have an ear infection, but when mine popped it wasn't loud, and the pain didn't go away immediately, it hurt for at least an hour and does not but I think my tylenol has set in, its been about an hour since I took an 800mg dose.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I had a particularly nasty infection that ate its way through my ear drum. I had to have a patch, which failed, followed be a second attempt, which took. If they deliberately puncture it, they can control the size and allow for drainage, from which the ear drum could recover. In fact, when they put tubes in your ears, they are literally tubes implanted into the ear drum that allow for this drainage. Eventually, your ears repairs itself and forces them out.

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
My right ear has had fluid in it and been infected for over 8 months. I can even make it bubble. It constantly hurts, but I can deal with it. Doctors say nothing is wrong. My mom, her ear got infected and even went to an ENT and never did find anything wrong. Guess what happened next. When she went to her GP, she told my mom that she has a massive ear infection. :rolleyes:

Isiah's Girl

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
My ear does this everytime I get sick...the thick stuff if what is drainging OUT of your eardrum, so it probibly did burst. If its a one time thing, your hearing will be fine. If your like me (yippie:mad: ) youve burst it so many times your counting down to when you go deaf in one ear. Benedrlly. It really does help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.