Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
I forget where I read this earlier today- engadget, maybe?

Anywho- no worries. The bill will not get passed. Even if it does, who is to say you were actually "listening" to music if you get a ticket a ticket for doing so.

er.... that just sounds funny right there.

Anywho- I'll believe it when I see someone actually get a ticket for jaywalking.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I forget where I read this earlier today- engadget, maybe?

Anywho- no worries. The bill will not get passed. Even if it does, who is to say you were actually "listening" to music if you get a ticket a ticket for doing so.

er.... that just sounds funny right there.

Anywho- I'll believe it when I see someone actually get a ticket for jaywalking.

Sure, they could be watching pr0n and yes, it's easy enough to cross against the light without seeing the police.

Doesn't NYC have a ban on using a mobile phone while driving?

I don't even think it matters because people cross even when there is a car coming. I'm surprised I'd never seen anyone in NYC beat on a car that came too close.

SoldOutMatinee

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Las Vegas
Just iPods or mp3 players in general?:confused:? It's confusing cuz it's like saying Kleenex and Q-Tip instead of tissue and cotton swab.

Anyways, It's smart and I agree with 'em. They're just saying that if they see you thumbing through your mp3, cell, psp...etc. while crossing the street, they'll fine you. I don't understand the backlash. They're not banning the devices all together while you walk, just while street crossing. It's all about safety.

Peace. :apple:

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I don't even think it matters because people cross even when there is a car coming. I'm surprised I'd never seen anyone in NYC beat on a car that came too close.

Exactly. I wonder how the "hit by car" figures compare to historical "hit by car" figures?

Maybe we need to start banning legislators.

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
I personally think this bill is stupid. If people want to take the risk of getting run over listening to their earphones or playing their handheld video games that's their problem. I don't need the government treating adults like they're children. It's one thing to ban talking on a cell phone while DRIVING - operating a motor vehicle, but it's something totally different when you're just walking and all you want to do is to listen to some songs.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Just iPods or mp3 players in general?:confused:? It's confusing cuz it's like saying Kleenex and Q-Tip instead of tissue and cotton swab.

Anyways, It's smart and I agree with 'em. They're just saying that if they see you thumbing through your mp3, cell, psp...etc. while crossing the street, they'll fine you. I don't understand the backlash. They're not banning the devices all together while you walk, just while street crossing. It's all about safety.

Peace. :apple:

It should be anything, including books and magazines but I'm sure they're using "iPod" like "Walkman" that included all sorts of cassette players.

bellychris

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
New Jersey
laws like this are dumb, if you use your ipod reasonably(with the volume low so you can hear your surroundings) its safe to walk across the street with the earbuds in. I mean its your fault if you have the ipod blasting so loud you are oblivous of cars coming. You cant prevent bad things happening from just passing laws preventing it. Soon we will have to wear helmets walking across the street.

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
laws like this are dumb, if you use your ipod reasonably(with the volume low so you can hear your surroundings) its safe to walk across the street with the earbuds in. I mean its your fault if you have the ipod blasting so loud you are oblivous of cars coming. You cant prevent bad things happening from just passing laws preventing it. Soon we will have to wear helmets walking acrossing the street.

Very well put. But it does put drivers at risk trying to avoid the idiots who are that clueless to their surroundings.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Well here, the driver is rarely charged if the pedestrian gets whacked outside a crosswalk -- they just have to stop.

So we are rather iPod friendly to the drivers now. :p

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
...three pedestrians in his Brooklyn district have been killed since September upon stepping into traffic while distracted by an electronic device. In one case bystanders screamed "watch out" to no avail.

So what if the guy was deaf instead? I think deaf people should be banned from crossing the street. :rolleyes: If a blind person can cross a street without getting plastered by a bus, some idiot with an iPod has no excuse for getting killed (other than being an idiot).

Government has an obligation to protect its citizenry

Yeah, from things like space alien invasions and terrorism, but not from trying to win a Darwin award.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
So what if the guy was deaf instead? I think deaf people should be banned from crossing the street. :rolleyes: If a blind person can cross a street without getting plastered by a bus, some idiot with an iPod has no excuse for getting killed (other than being an idiot).

Deaf people have no choice, though people with electronic devices do and blind people generally have a service dog to keep them out of danger.

Exactly. I wonder how the "hit by car" figures compare to historical "hit by car" figures?

Maybe we need to start banning legislators.

Probably but they don't come here often. ;)

I have a better suggestion but I don't want to turn this too political.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Deaf people have no choice, though people with electronic devices do and blind people generally have a service dog to keep them out of danger.

Probably but they don't come here often. ;)

I have a better suggestion but I don't want to turn this too political.

Ooh! PM it to me! For some reason, I find all New Yorkers' political ideas rather funny...

Sam0r

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Or you could just look both ways before crossing the street...?

Or.. use a crossing! If someone runs a red and mows you down, then thats their fault for running the red light, not yours.

If you're crossing where there isn't a crossing, then looking both ways should be common sense to anyone.

But then again, I guess sense really isn't that common..

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
I like nothing more than listening to my iPod, but crossing a busy road while listening to music is not the best idea. A few people using iPods have walked out in front of me while I was driving, thankfully none of them have been injured.

FJ

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
iPods are iPods. People can still look both ways before crossing the road.

Maybe people should be fined for walking across the street without looking both ways. Maybe people should be fined for listening to music in a car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.