Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heavywater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Shanghai, China
Hi. I'm a new Mac user. I bought a new MacBook Pro.

I have a Nokia N73 camera phone. It's a nice camera phone with a 3.2MP camera. I have iSync working between the Mac and the Nokia for my contacts and calendar. Works well.

I figured out how to get that working, but can't figure out how to make iPhoto suck off all of the photos on the camera phone and put them into iPhoto. The best I found while looking on the web is that someone has scripting code to make this work, sorta. And he has the source code to do it. And the article is from 2004. It can't be that difficult - is it? There's an easier way, right? The smug Mac guy on the commercials doesn't look like he does this.

I'm coming from the world of Windows. Here's the experience I have on Windows:

1) Turn on Bluetooth on the PC and on the phone. Windows recognizes the phone.
2) Start up Adobe PhotoShop Album and hit "Get Photos -> From Camera Phone".
3) Adobe then finds the camera phone, gets all of the pictures, and asks me if I want to delete them off the phone.

Bottom line: it's real easy on a Windows machine.

Surely this new expensive Mac has a easy way of doing this...right? What am I doing wrong?

heavywater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Shanghai, China
I'd suggest trying to use Image Capture with your phone paired up. It's in your Applications folder.

OK. Tried this. From Image Capture, I try "Browse Devices". There's no Bluetooth selection. There's "Network", "Remote Image Capture Devices" (with no selection, sounds like scanners and whatnot), and "TWAIN devices".

Where's the Bluetooth? Phone is already paired up, it's working with iSync.

heavywater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Shanghai, China
Yes, that's the 2004 article I'm talking about. If that's the only way to do it, I'm shocked. I don't believe it. The Mac has to be easier than this.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
*shrug* It would be good if bluetooth camera phones could be managed by iPhoto. I won't lie. But I also honestly don't take many pictures with mine. I dunno... I got a DSLR and a P&S for when I want pics. Sorry! The design Adobe Photoshop Album uses sounds good. Hopefully Apple can also implement that... perhaps as an adjunct to the iPhone having a cam.

heavywater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Shanghai, China
That works for browsing through the phone. Then I have to navigate through the phone's folders - it's a pain because these devices use wierd filesystems, you have to go looking for the files. Then manually put them into iPhoto. Then manually delete the photos. It works, but it sucks, and it especially sucks if you've taken pictures over a number of days, because each day is a separate folder on the phone, so you have to repeat the process.

No one has anything better on Mac? I hope there's a Mac developer on this thread because the PC wins the useability battle here big time.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
No one has anything better on Mac? I hope there's a Mac developer on this thread because the PC wins the useability battle here big time.

My friend... not every single thing is better 100% of the time on Macs. If you don't like it, go back to Windows...people are trying to help you, and you're being rather rude to them.

heavywater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Shanghai, China
My friend... not every single thing is better 100% of the time on Macs. If you don't like it, go back to Windows...people are trying to help you, and you're being rather rude to them.

No, I'm not being rude; I just hope there's a Mac developer who reads these forums who reads this so they can make it better. This use case is not good. We ALL bought these expensive machines, so if I'm insulting the mac owners, I include myself in that pool!

I'm like a guy who just bought a Mercedes only to discover that there's no cup holders in it.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Hi there.

I'm very new to Mac's - I only got my PowerMac G4 last week so I'm probably doing this the slow way round. Here is how I do things. I'm running OS X 10.4.8

I have a 5 port USB 2.0 PCI card in my G4 with a Bluetooth USB dongle fixed in the internal USB socket on the card.

On my Sony Ericsson K800i camera phone I go into that and select all of the photos that I want to send and send them to the G4 which has already been paired up.

The G4 instantly recognizes the incoming files/photos and I click Accept and the photos land in my DOCUMENTS folder. I then drag/copy these photos into iPhoto.

From my very limited experience this seems like the best way of doing things.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm like a guy who just bought a Mercedes only to discover that there's no cup holders in it.

I hear you, I hear you. Sorry for being the snotty German in labcoat saying, "Why do you Americans need to drink das Soda in the automobile?" ;) (Although in my defense, unlike some replies, I actually took the time to read your post and understand what you were asking for! :p )

Basically, this feature just isn't there. Hopefully Apple will add it in the future, as, to your point, both the number of camera phones out there and the number of people taking pictures with camera phones continues to increase. I think most of us are responding from the, "As a car enthusiast, photographer, Mac person, I already have a really nice P&S and a really nice dSLR and honestly don't take that many camera phone pictures." :rolleyes: But cameraphones are not going anywhere, and Apple should recognize that, as Adobe did.

Two things I can recommend:

1) Since you want this feature, TELL APPLE. They need to hear from people like you that a feature like this is desired.

2) Possibly look for Reviews or users using it and see if Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 has this feature. I have PSE3 (which does not have the photo album iPhoto-ey thing in it at all).

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Hi. I'm a new Mac user. I bought a new MacBook Pro.

I have a Nokia N73 camera phone. It's a nice camera phone with a 3.2MP camera. I have iSync working between the Mac and the Nokia for my contacts and calendar. Works well.

I figured out how to get that working, but can't figure out how to make iPhoto suck off all of the photos on the camera phone and put them into iPhoto. The best I found while looking on the web is that someone has scripting code to make this work, sorta. And he has the source code to do it. And the article is from 2004. It can't be that difficult - is it? There's an easier way, right? The smug Mac guy on the commercials doesn't look like he does this.

I'm coming from the world of Windows. Here's the experience I have on Windows:

1) Turn on Bluetooth on the PC and on the phone. Windows recognizes the phone.
2) Start up Adobe PhotoShop Album and hit "Get Photos -> From Camera Phone".
3) Adobe then finds the camera phone, gets all of the pictures, and asks me if I want to delete them off the phone.

Bottom line: it's real easy on a Windows machine.

Surely this new expensive Mac has a easy way of doing this...right? What am I doing wrong?

It's real easy on a Mac too! I have a RAZR with bluetooth. I find the picture on my phone that I want to send, go to "copy" or "move" and select my computer. Then, I click "accept" on my iMac, and the file is transferred. If I want, I could import that photo to iPhoto, or just leave it in Pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.