Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
I'd like to use my iPod while it is plugged into my work computer. I suppose I could operate it from iTunes, but I want to plug in the earphones in my iPod.

Is this possible?

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
If your iPod's on auto-sync, then it's entirely possible. :)

I don't have much freedom with my work - iTunes shows the songs in my iPod, and my iPod displays "Do not disconnect" as it always does when it's plugged into a computer (why - iTunes doesn't show anything being transferred). I don't seem to be able to do anything with my iPod's controls. I did click on File/Sync "brazee's iPod" - but didn't see that anything happened. Basically, it looks that iTunes can show me what is on my iPod, but I haven't figured out how to play them yet via iTunes, either on my iPod, or off. (I prefer on).

So I let it charge, dismount the iPod and use it without the computer.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
it works when it is plugged into the charger, so I don't see why it wouldn't work plugged in to the computer.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Also, half the time when I plug in my iPod at work, iTunes tells me:

! iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore
this iPod before it can be used with iTunes.
OK

I don't see anything unusual when I plug it in at home, and the next day I may or may not have this message when I get to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.