Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pct1theory

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2006
NY
sup guys,
i wanted to know if u guys have any idea on how to make a shortcut to frontrow on the dock, so when i click it it comes up....

i have the :apple: remote, and the keyboard shortcut to it, but i want it in my dock
and i have a icon of the :apple: Apple Remote for the shortcut...

any of u guys know how???

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
⌘-esc brings it up... not sure how to make a dock link, but that's a pretty easy button combo. :)

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
i set mine to f8 to follow the suite of expose keys, however you can activate front row by using apple script and making it call the hot key for front row, then save the script as a app and put it in the dock

Pct1theory

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2006
NY
i set mine to f8 to follow the suite of expose keys, however you can activate front row by using apple script and making it call the hot key for front row, then save the script as a app and put it in the dock

how would i make a apple script to do that???

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Well what you could do is create a automator action or a applescipt that does this. Then just place that in the dock.

Edit: oops thought i read the whole thread. I think you could do a tell finder but i am trying to find out how to send a key combo in applescript.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
Heres the code for a key combo, however i havnt the time atm to work out how to do f8 in it

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "a" using command down & shift down

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I found out how to do it without changing shortcuts.
Code:
tell application "System Events"
tell application "Front Row" to activate
key code 53 using {command down}
delay 0.0
key code 53
end tell
Works fine. :D then just save it as a application. Now I would love to get a pretty icon for it. But i don't think apple has made a front row icon....

Pct1theory

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2006
NY
I found out how to do it without changing shortcuts.
Code:
tell application "System Events"
tell application "Front Row" to activate
key code 53 using {command down}
delay 0.0
key code 53
end tell
Works fine. :D then just save it as a application. Now I would love to get a pretty icon for it. But i don't think apple has made a front row icon....

i did that and then i saved it as a app on my desktop, then i dragged it to my dock and clicked on it and nothing happend..

but when i'm in apple script, and i click run it works.... wtf??Might Get a 12" PowerBook G4 soon......:D

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
i did that and then i saved it as a app on my desktop, then i dragged it to my dock and clicked on it and nothing happend..

but when i'm in apple script, and i click run it works.... wtf??

Try saving it as a application bundle. Thats what i did and it works fine.

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
In case anyone wanted to know, the Front Row application can be found in System>Library>CoreServices>FrontRow.app.

Dragging it to the dock and clicking on it doesn't bring up Front Row by the way.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
In case anyone wanted to know, the Front Row application can be found in System>Library>CoreServices>FrontRow.app.

Dragging it to the dock and clicking on it doesn't bring up Front Row by the way.

That's because it's part of the core services and the typical user only has read permissions.In other-words it's an app per se but it's designed to be run by another service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.