Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In January we'd reported that Jeff Han had formed his own company called Perspective Pixel to market large versions of his Multi Touch screen to companies.

Here's a new demo from Han on a much larger display. It appears they've created more user-inteface methods for touch screen -- with menus and selection methods being demoed:

https://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/12/more-multitouch-from-jeff-han/

Retired
May 16, 2006
There is no link to new Jeff Han stuff...

ADD: Now it works...

Its better than minority report...w00t

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
This is so cool but what type of computer do you think that is able to run something like that? How long before these multi touch displays come to market?

Retired
May 16, 2006
This is so cool but what type of computer do you think that is able to run something like that? How long before these multi touch displays come to market?
I think that the scientific market will be first, but concepts (e.g. stretching photos) are used in products like iPhone and will be implemented gradually and hopefully seamlessly into existing products as and when they become economically viable.

Jwalker9

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2006
This reminds me of the stacks patent when the guy groups all those pictures together and then piles them together.

Retired
May 16, 2006
This reminds me of the stacks patent when the guy groups all those pictures together and then piles them together.

But that was horribly inefficient e.g. you could not see the picture, just an icon representing a jpeg file...

Retired
May 16, 2006
totally out of minority report....i love it

this looks really cool, probably not very efficient for video editing, but cool
I would have thought that dragging things to be where you want them would be perfect for video editing...

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Wow.

I hope multi-touch screens like these don't turn out to be vapourware.

I can't even begin to imagine how much they must cost at the moment.

MadDoc,

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I can see this technology really getting a foothold in the scientific imaging field. To answer excalibur313's question- yes, you will need something pretty beefy with a fast GPU... give it a couple of years. My concern is how will this method of input deal with having fingerprint smudges everywhere. You'd have to work for 15 minutes, use Windex, work another 15, repeat. It would be great to have a no-touch design, where your gestures are interpreted by simply detecting their proximity to the screen.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
It would be great to have a no-touch design, where your gestures are interpreted by simply detecting their proximity to the screen.
They can probably already do the "no touch" proximity thing now. From what I've heard, the iPhone's screen uses a capacitance method of sorts, detecting the electrical energy/field from your finger. If you could make that detection process more sensitive, it would be reasonable to think that you wouldnt' have to come into contact with the screen if it can detect your finger at x millimeters away. Then again, I'm a mechanical engineer so I don't know much about the electrical side of things.:eek: I guess it might be harder (and more expensive) to implement such a system on a large display as shown in the video though...

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
It would be great to have a no-touch design, where your gestures are interpreted by simply detecting their proximity to the screen.

Don't forget the nintendo Wii seems to have similar technology to this, so seeing a convergence of these two ideas in the future doesn't seem out of the question to me at all.

s10

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2002
Los Angeles
If the iPhone runs a slimmed down version of 10.5 than multitouch could well be inside 10.5... and making a tablet or even a laptop with touchscreen much more interesting then any other available equivalent. and yes, Piles would work very well with multitouch.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Don't forget the nintendo Wii seems to have similar technology to this, so seeing a convergence of these two ideas in the future doesn't seem out of the question to me at all.

Do you mean DS, or am I misinterpreting what you are saying?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.