Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibilly

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2003
Boulder
Who thinks that new ibooks should be G4, but with the 15" screen!!
I will be in the market for the high end iBook/ maybee 12" PB. The one thing that bugs me about my 333 imac despite the obvious (Speed, graphics card, hd, ect...) is the SCREEN RES! I would be so much more productive with schoolwork if I could display two pages side by side. Does any one agree or have other oppinions?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Opinnion: New iBooks

Originally posted by ibilly
Who thinks that new ibooks should be G4, but with the 15" screen!!
I will be in the market for the high end iBook/ maybee 12" PB. The one thing that bugs me about my 333 imac despite the obvious (Speed, graphics card, hd, ect...) is the SCREEN RES! I would be so much more productive with schoolwork if I could display two pages side by side. Does any one agree or have other oppinions?

so then it would be different from the 15" powerbook how exactly? Don't hold your breathe for a G4 in the iBooks anytime soon.

I don't know that I agree with you abuot the crt iMac screen. a higher resolution than 1024x768 on that screen I think would start getting to small to read on a 15" monitor. the highest resolution is just about perfect for me. if the monitor was larger, sure, but its not.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Hmm... so you are asking for an iBook with G4, 15" screen and higher res.... Isn't that called a Ti PowerBook??

If you are asking for a Ti PowerBook at iBook prices then obviously, you are just dreaming.

pdham

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
Re: Opinnion: New iBooks

Originally posted by ibilly
I would be so much more productive with schoolwork if I could display two pages side by side. Does any one agree or have other oppinions?

I have a TI Book 15 and at its highest res, you still cant fit two pages side by side

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Re: Opinnion: New iBooks

Originally posted by pdham
I have a TI Book 15 and at its highest res, you still cant fit two pages side by side
Due to Apple's odd choice in screen res...

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
eventually, the ibook will have to have the G4 chip, but when it does, who knows what apple will do with the powerbooks?

when i got my G3 ibook in 1999, the powerbook also had a G3, but a lot more bells and whistles in other areas like faster speed, ram, hard drives, ports, etc

this will be the case soon...hopefully...G4 ibook and G4 powerbook at the same time and apple will make the powerbook much more desireable in features as to justify its higher price by a few hundred dollars

my guess 867-1ghz G4 plastic case 12-14" ibooks, 256 mb ram to start, two usb, one firewire topping out at $1499 usd...1ghz-1.25 ghz G4 metal case 14-17" powerbooks, 512 mb ram to start, two usb, two firewire topping out at $3299 usd

where in 1999, the consumer level ibook was colorful and the pro stuff black (powerbook), the current powerbook will likely be silver metal (ti or alum or both) and the ibooks most likely the same white, but durable plastic

even if ibook gets a G4 processor faster than 1 ghz, and an upper ram limit of 1 gb ddr, some will then call it a toy and not the same as the comparable powerbook in the apple lineup

when i got the ibook back then, 300 mhz in a G3 was fast enough to have sj proclaim it as the world's second fastest laptop...just behind the G3 powerbook which was prolly the world's fastest in mid-1999

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.