Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BCains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Is there such thing?

Soon as i place a file in the trash it deleted completely and doesnt sit in
trash. I'd like to be able to restore a file if need be, as i have just lost alot of
pictures :mad:

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I've never heard of a setting for this. Try checking if the files have really been removed by opening Terminal and typing:
Code:
cd .Trash
ls -la

BCains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Nothing is coming up.

I'll explain a little more. As soon as i drag item to trash or accidently!
command - delete the items are removed completely, meaning they aren't in the trash...? When i first got my MBP it didnt do this.
Now i'm pretty pissed because i had highlighted other photos without knowing and deleted them with the rest.
Which i can get over but for avoiding this is the future i'd like my files to sit in the trash then i can empty it when i want.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I vaguely remember someone having problems with .Trash but can't remember the details. But the solution was to delete .Trash and log out and back in again, which recreated .Trash. But try renaming .Trash rather than deleting it totally, just in case I've totally misremembered this, and logging out and back in.

BCains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Thanks for your help, but i dont wanna stuff it up.
Might just take it in to a service guy or something.

Also :rolleyes: i have this app that i tried to run to recover the data
but its not working and i closed it down/quit and wont trash it cause it's "in use" and i tried the whole renaming,
but nothing is working. gosh i sick of computer problems! :mad:

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I vaguely remember someone having problems with .Trash but can't remember the details. But the solution was to delete .Trash and log out and back in again, which recreated .Trash. But try renaming .Trash rather than deleting it totally, just in case I've totally misremembered this, and logging out and back in.

I remember this thread also. I'll try and locate it, it's gotta be around here somewhere...

BCains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
thanks guys. also this may help or add to the problem

Finder > Secure Empty Trash is unclickable.

This is what it says when i com-d an item, if i press cancel it doesnt delete at all. The item "_____" will be immediately deleted.

BCains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
I'm a genius!! i have fixed it hahaha. thanks for your help guys. :)
It's a bit late for my photos thou, i knew i shouldnt have deleted them off the camera so early.:mad:

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I did this to my computer by deleting the .Trash folder.

When i recreated it all was well.

thebub

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
Same Problem. Help

i have the same problem as BCains!!! the trash automatically permanently deletes the trash instead of just putting it in the trash UNTIL i empty it!! where is that ".trash" file u were talking about?! This is soo annoying it didnt used to be like this is just randomely started to be like this!!! :confused::confused:

baruch

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
I'm a genius!! i have fixed it hahaha. thanks for your help guys. :)
It's a bit late for my photos thou, i knew i shouldnt have deleted them off the camera so early.:mad:

It'd be great if you told us how you fixed it.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
That post was over three years ago.

I suspect it was this:

Finder Menu > Preferences > Advanced
remove check from Empty Trash Securely

Cobalt222

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Trash Bin - How to reset settings?

As soon as I drag item to trash! or Right Click > Move to Trash

command - "Are you sure you want to delete? This item will be deleted immediately. You can’t undo this action".

Once Delete the items are removed completely, meaning they aren't in the trash bin?

I have also tried: Thermal with no results...
Are both "Un-click-able"

chillicymru

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
Help

I have read all the thread above and have the exact same problem as Cobalt222 and thebub. My trash is automatically deleted even though the "secure emptying" setting option is not checked. I have read and write permissions and my trash performed normally up until recently. I am not aware that I have changed anything and I want to be able to keep things in trash until I am ready to empty it! I can't delete the trash folder but when I ran the following command: ls ~/.Trash in Terminal prompt, it told me I had access denied.

nico629

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
Trash only secure delete fix

The way I fixed the problem when your trash will only secure delete was to run Onyx which is a free utility that you can download from places like http://download.cnet.com/OnyX-Snow-Leopard/3000-18512_4-10653022.html It is a mac tweak utility and when you run it allow it to verify start up and then click on the perimeters button and in the dialogue box tick 'show delete trash' this then shows you the option in finder, to delete trash or secure delete trash. It also shows up in your trash bin as default trash setting. If you do not already have Onyx it is worth having just to clean your mac up and keep it running smoothly. Beware of the cautions though before you delete anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.