Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
I am trying to flash the firmware on my Pioneer DVR-110D so I can use it to it's full potential (ie. buring DVDs faster than 4x) using DVRFlash ver. 2.2. I thought I was reading the instructions correctly and doing what it told me to do in the Terminal windows but obviously I am no where close to getting it right. No matter what I do, this is only only message I get in the terminal:

Last login: Wed Feb 14 20:16:19 on ttyp2
Welcome to Darwin!
*-*-Computer:~ *$ /Users/*/Desktop/DVRFlash/DVRFlash_v2/mac/DVRFlash; exit

DVRFlash v2.2 : Pioneer DVR firmware flasher
by Agent Smith, et al., November 2005

Commandline:
/Users/*/Desktop/DVRFlash/DVRFlash_v2/mac/DVRFlash

Device parameter was not given, detecting all DVR drives:

Device : A:
Vendor : PIONEER
Model : DVD-RW DVR-110D
Revision : 1.08

Region : 1
Changes : 4 region changes remaining
4 vendor resets remaining
state is 'Region set'

Now run DVRFlash again, from the command prompt, using
one of the device(s) listed above as first parameter

Press the Return key to exit

(stars represent my computer's name: edited for my protection ;) )

I have tried reading their online forums and have found nothing that makes any sense to me. I suppose you need a BS in Computer Science to understand any of this crap because I obviously don't (if you can't tell, I am highly frustrated).

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong or should I just give it up as I am obviously not to the point where I should be doing anything with Terminal?

And as a side note, I really don't care if I void my warranty. The drive wasn't that expensive to begin with.

Thanks in advance.

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
I'm doing this from memory so might not be 100% correct, but here goes anyway.

Put the firmware files (which in the Finder will look like plain icons with no extension) in the folder where DVRFlash lives. You might have to expand the .exe firmware file first using Stuffit expander to get to the actual firmware files, and there will probably be 2, almost identically named.

Open terminal and drag the DVRFlash folder (that contains the actual DVRFlash unix executable file and the firmware files) to your terminal window. Hopefully this should change directory in Terminal to where the folder lives. If not, stick the folder on your Desktop and type

cd Desktop/DVRFlash

(where DVRFlash is the name of the folder on your desktop.)

Then you need to enter the parameters for DVR Flash to run, which are in the ReadMe file that comes with it. It will be something like (but not exactly - I'm doing this from memory as I said) this

DVRFlash -f PIONEER XXXX XXXY

where XXXX and XXXY are the 2 firmware files.

The -f bit is you forcing the updater to update and you do need to do this. You may even need to use -ff.

You should then get prompted to OK the firmware update and once you do that it will start updating.

You should then see it say '...now hold your breath for 30 seconds' or something similar.

After this your DVD drive will click off and on (well, my 110 does anyway) and you should be set.

For safety reboot your Mac and use System Profiler to check your firmware is now up to date.

Hope this helps mate, but if you are in doubt then don't do it, cos I wouldn't want to think you'd borked your drive due to my vagueish instructions.

Good luck, and here's to a GUI updater app one day.

csonni

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
So, did you get it to work by following deebster's instructions? I have a Pioneer DVR 115D that I want to update from 113 to 118. I also would like to know what steps to follow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.