Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Does anyone know if the 'Software Update' feature in OS X automatically deletes old versions of software when it installs new ones?

I am starting to wonder whether Software Update is unnecessarily eating up valuable hard drive space. Just this week it asked if I wanted to install a new Java update to recognize new daylight savings times - a file size of 83MB! (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/javaformacosx104release5.html). I chose to download it (along with two other recommend security updates), hoping it would delete the old version. I checked my Trash, but there didn't appear to be any Java related files.

If Software Update is just adding new files to the hard drive without deleting old ones, then over time this will be a problem, especially with large files like the Java one.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

banjomamo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
USA
it should write over the old files. it doesnt delete anything. why dont you get a bigger hard drive if you are worried about 83 mb? maybe you can back up some files to another drive to make room.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Please keep in mind that most System-owned files never show up in the Trash - they just get deleted by the OS. In fact, if you ever use Terminal to delete files, they're deleted immediately. Trash is only used for files you delete within the Finder.

banjomamo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
USA
Please keep in mind that most System-owned files never show up in the Trash - they just get deleted by the OS. In fact, if you ever use Terminal to delete files, they're deleted immediately. Trash is only used for files you delete within the Finder.

thats a good point. os x hides many of the system files and operations from you on purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.