Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
LINK

Cisco, Apple Settle High-Stakes iPhone Trademark-Infringement Lawsuit

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- Cisco Systems Inc. and Apple Inc. said Wednesday they have settled the trademark-infringement lawsuit that threatened to derail Apple's use of the "iPhone" name for its much-hyped new iPod-cellular phone gadget.

The companies said they reached an agreement that will allow Apple to use the name for its sleek new multimedia device in exchange for exploring wide-ranging "interoperability" between the companies' products in the areas of security, consumer and business communications.
The showdown between the Silicon Valley tech heavyweights erupted last month when Cisco sued Apple in San Francisco federal court claiming that Apple's use of the iPhone name constituted a "willful and malicious" violation of a trademark that Cisco has owned since 2000.

Cisco's Linksys division has been using the trademark since last spring on a line of phones that make free long-distance calls over the Internet using a technology called Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Sure doesn't sound like Apple gave up much of anything. Cisco must have known their trademark case was shaky at best. It's probably all for the best...keep everything amicable and foster collaboration.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Honestly I would think Cisco would have the better argument for the term iPhone VOIP is Internet phone after all.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
I think Cisco played their hand fairly well. They have gained publicity from this, and may gain from some sort of partnership with Apple in the future.

johnmartin78

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Canada
I personaly think the whole lawsuit thing was a publicity stunt.Both companies got millions of dollars in free advertising,especially Cisco.Who even knew they had an "iPhone" until the suit,except geeks.Apple execs go to Cisco boys and say.."so heres the thing,were making an iPhone,the patent you have is basically expired,and its not a cell phone.but after we launch,you file suit,we will get a few weeks of buzz surounding both companies over the lawsuit,then we settle go on about our buisness".

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Cisco And Apple Reach iPhone Trademark Agreement

Cisco and Apple have announced that they have reached an agreement over the iPhone trademark dispute that erupted soon after Apple announced the iPhone at Macworld San Francisco.

Under the agreement, both companies are free to use the “iPhone” trademark on their products throughout the world. Both companies acknowledge the trademark ownership rights that have been granted, and each side will dismiss any pending actions regarding the trademark. In addition, Cisco and Apple will explore opportunities for interoperability in the areas of security, and consumer and enterprise communications.

Other terms of the agreement remain confidential. Cisco launched their brand of "iPhone" VOIP handsets in December, and has held the US trademark for the "iPhone," whereas Apple has the mark in other countries.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I knew Apple wouldn't come out on the losing side of this. It just wouldn't be right if the iPhone wasn't called, well, the iPhone! ;) :D :cool:

JackRipper

macrumors regular
May 14, 2002
South Carolina
The thing that gets me, and that everyone seems to let slide these days, is that Apple started iWhatever. If I had a say in Apple, I would have trademarked the i prefix.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Obviously, as it turned out, Apple where unable to get Cisco's Trademark, as they thought, and had to comprise.

Apple lost because it couldn't get the iPhone trade mark all to itself, as it thought.

At least its over, and Apple can move on.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
I knew Apple wouldn't come out on the losing side of this. It just wouldn't be right if the iPhone wasn't called, well, the iPhone! ;) :D :cool:
Finally! Good to get all that nonsense out of the way. I'm sure Apple realises no one will confuse the true iPhone with those ugly Cisco POS 'iPhones':apple:

ModestPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
OKC
Nothing wrong with that. It's business after all... :p ;) :cool:

But oh Jesus...If those microsoft Bast***s ever push anyone around again...so help me!:D :p

But apple can do what it wants. I like them better.:p

Nothing against you Shard, I agree, I just think it's funny that we all freak out at Microsoft for bullying but the times apple does the same thing, myself included, think of it as great business...lol
:D

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The thing that gets me, and that everyone seems to let slide these days, is that Apple started iWhatever. If I had a say in Apple, I would have trademarked the i prefix.

No Apple did NOT start the iEverything, it jumped on the bandwagon.

And Apple could not possibly get an "i" trademark.

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
Am I the only one that finds this a little disconcerting? Apple has to try to work in interoperability with another company's product that's also called iPhone? That seems like it's going to cause nothing but confusion for customers.

iPoodOverZune

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
LOST
Therefore, all the hoopla over trademark thingy was only to generate buzz. And I think both companies agreed to it - any publicity is good publicity. It did remain in the news for quite a while. Good that they decided to end it (not solve it, it was already solved probably! :)

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
No Apple did NOT start the iEverything, it jumped on the bandwagon.

And Apple could not possibly get an "i" trademark.

Seriously. There were lots of "i" products before the iMac, Apple just became the most popular. Saying that Apple started the iEverything is like saying that MySpace started the MyEverything. They just popularized them, but neither prefix was all that unique or original.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.