Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Sweet! But if the iPhone struggles a bit, I doubt that the 5.5G processors can handle CoverFlow so well with hundreds of albums...also the spinning HD is much slower than the flash on the iPhone...

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Coverflow on iPod? (Video)

Gizmodo claims to have a video from a updated iPod with firmware that allows it to display Coverflow. A somewhat convincing video accompanies the article. (Youtube link).

Gizmodo has historically been very liberal about posting Apple rumors in the past, and despite the video, leaks from Apple have never previously come in the form of video footage.

The site claims that the update will come soon in the form of a firmware update and not to expect any new-generation iPods before the iPhone debuts.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
coverflow, on the iphone and an ipod, seems kindof useless to me. you just see fewer albums at once, there's little advantage.

i like it on my iTunes though, cuz i can type in an artist/album name and watch the albums fly by.

mattalici

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2003
LA
Fake

That would be a solid little update.

Except that it's a fake.

It's a video running on that iPod. The iPod is locked, so the scroll wheel isn't actually working. He/she practiced on the timing of "hitting" the buttons at the right time. SO FAKE. :eek:

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Except that it's a fake.

It's a video running on that iPod. The iPod is locked, so the scroll wheel isn't actually working. He/she practiced on the timing of "hitting" the buttons at the right time. SO FAKE. :eek:

you know, you might be right. In the beginning, it seems he starts moving his thumb before scrolling starts on screen.

mrthieme

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
Except that it's a fake.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it is. But I want it just the same.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
When the guy is scrolling through the album art, the timing is slightly off, that is the coverflow artwork moves just slightly before the actually hand gesture. So yeah, it is a fake. What do you expect from the Gizmodo geeks?

Also, you had to be tipped off by the fact there are the Pussycat Dolls, Shakira and Robbie Williams album art covers. :)

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Oh yeah, I'm sure it is. But I want it just the same.

I suspect it could be faked by playing a video and pretending to control it, but how would a person create that video in the first place? There are a few aspects to this that would make it difficult to fake. Not impossible, but definitely difficult.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
I just don't get why people fake stuff like this. More time wasted, to add onto time wasted deleting spam, skipping intros, and closing popups. Pathetic.

Zweben

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
A pretty good fake, but a fake nevertheless.

Evidence, some of which others have pointed out above:

-The timing is a bit off.

-There would probably be a info bar at the top showing the battery level. This would be hard to add if it were fake and was probably skipped.

-The top left of the screen was always just out of sight, so you couldn't see the lock icon, and the iPod was at an angle so that you couldn't see what position the lock slider was in.

-It doesn't really seem practical. You can only see a couple tiny covers on each side, which isn't useful for scrolling through songs at any decent speed.

-Engadget posts any decently faked rumor they are sent.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
People make stuff like this because people like us post about it, and sites like Macrumors put it in the news section.

Definitely a fake, as its said, iPhone can hardly handle coverflow, and honestly, alot of macs out there struggle with it too.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
A comment on the video says there is no song called "Original of the Species" in the album Stadium Arcadium.

TheManOfSilver

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
Canada
I agree with others. It's a good fake, but fake.

I mean really ... why would Apple bother to work so hard to integrate Coverflow into existing iPods with their relatively limited processing power and screen real estate?

I have no doubt that Coverflow will make its appearance on iPods very soon. But it will be on a 6G widescreen iPod that will essentially be an iPhone without the phone.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
People make stuff like this because people like us post about it, and sites like Macrumors put it in the news section.

Hey, don't lump us in. :) This would probably not have been posted on MacRumors if not popularized by Gizmodo, Digg etc...

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.