Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
hi guys, i've just deleted like 5 playlists off of my nano 2g because it was almost full and i also wanted to copy another playlist (close to 1.40gb of mp3's) so i needed the space.

I went on and deleted the songs i wanted out of the nano but it still has the same "free" space available as it did before deleted anything... hoy can i "update it" so that it recognizes the space i freed?

if i eject it, the songs i deleted aren't there, so it is actually deleting the songs but it's not freeing the space.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
There's a 99.999999999999% chance of this being wrong, but I don't think playlists have the actual songs, do they?

Correct, they do not. You have to actualy delete the music from your library. The playlists are a sort of link to the music stored in your library. Delete from there and all should be well.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Correct, they do not. You have to actualy delete the music from your library. The playlists are a sort of link to the music stored in your library. Delete from there and all should be well.

Wouldn't deleting them from the Library be sorta Not A Good Idea? Perhaps Joeytpg would like to keep the unused songs in his Library for future use.

I have a 4Gb nano, and instead of "Sync all files and playlists" (which would surely fill my nano past overflowing), I have the Sync preferences set to "Sync selected playlists" and select the playlists I want. This makes sure that only songs featured on those playlists are loaded, regardless of what's in the Library. This will also delete songs off the iPod that are not in the selected playlists without removing them from the Library, as well as other playlists you don't want on the iPod but might want to keep in iTunes.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Wouldn't deleting them from the Library be sorta Not A Good Idea? Perhaps Joeytpg would like to keep the unused songs in his Library for future use.

I have a 4Gb nano, and instead of "Sync all files and playlists" (which would surely fill my nano past overflowing), I have the Sync preferences set to "Sync selected playlists" and select the playlists I want. This makes sure that only songs featured on those playlists are loaded, regardless of what's in the Library. This will also delete songs off the iPod that are not in the selected playlists without removing them from the Library, as well as other playlists you don't want on the iPod but might want to keep in iTunes.

As a user of a 30gb ipod with a 15gb music collection, I often forget that libraries can exceed ipod space. This would be a much better idea if the OP wishes to keep his original music. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.