Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
taken from private submissions:

link

Psst ? Bill Gates! Your inner geek is showing.

Or perhaps that's actually your inner Steve Jobs?

Granted, Microsoft chairman and chief software architect Gates doesn't have quite the crazed charisma of Apple's CEO Jobs. But the new prototype computer Gates was fondling in front of hundreds of hardware developers on Tuesday looked so much like a Mac that it was impossible not to draw comparisons between the two men and their machines.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I just don't get it - a MS/HP cube system. And I did a check for more images and there really aren't any.

Its funny to see MS trying to play a little of the Apple game, yet what does that mean in the long run for Apple?

D

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
No need to worry... the computer shown is just a "concept car", not available for purchase. PCs will never look like that, because PC buyers aren't willing to pay enough for them. And why should they? It's running Winblows Longarm, the one that won't let you do anything anyway.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by cubist
No need to worry... the computer shown is just a "concept car", not available for purchase. PCs will never look like that, because PC buyers aren't willing to pay enough for them. And why should they? It's running Winblows Longarm, the one that won't let you do anything anyway.

But you see, that's taking the wrong approach - there's no reason to not believe that the concept machine won't be a reality. The bigger issue here is Gate's acknowledging that the current pcs are badly designed and that there is a market for sleekness and coolness outside of Apple.

D

Spike Spiegel

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Massachusetts
the worrisome point in that article is that the proposed price point(yay alliteration!) of this compact concept computer(hmmm, i may have something wrong with me) was mentioned to be under 2,000, for which a mac user could just barely get a low end machine, to say nothing of a monitor, let alone a 23 inch one.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I can't see the $1700+ price being for the whole system, especially with a 23" LCD. That's less than the Apple 23" by itself right now!

D

evilsprung

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2003
Gates cares because he knows aesthetics sells and what a better than to bite off a company with a well established record like Apple. But I doubt Apple will get affected. Most people are still able to differentiate between a Mac and PC. And even that relation in itself isnt a very good one since the creation of the PC wasn't really controlled under a company such as apple. Sure you could reference IBM but that's slightly different. But I digress. In any case this type of thing will only grab the "stupid" consumers while the more "educated" of us can still pinpoint the differences.
I kept looking at the pictures and you still can see that the "harshness" if you will of a PC is still prevalent. Not to dis PC's though.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
There's another thread about this, here. Perhaps the two could be merged?

Taking a leaf from the cube is nothing new. Shuttle have been doing it a few years already. Granted, they don't quite have the style and engineering quality apple did, but they serve for a pc. It's probably what I'll go with next time I'm purchasing.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Apple should learn from shuttle and come back with a new cube

Originally posted by britboy
There's another thread about this, here. Perhaps the two could be merged?

Taking a leaf from the cube is nothing new. Shuttle have been doing it a few years already. Granted, they don't quite have the style and engineering quality apple did, but they serve for a pc. It's probably what I'll go with next time I'm purchasing.

I think the engineering quality is on par or better than Apple's Cube, considering the hot CPU's they have to work with (so they are louder with a fan). I find the Shuttle Cubes vastly superior in every other way to the Apple Cubes, software aside. Of course, they are much newer, but I still appreciate a full sized AGP card, two RAIDed hard drives, six USB 2.0 ports, 3 FireWire ports, inexpensive desktop components, and a fast, upgradable CPU. All this with an internal PSU, and basically the same size as the cube (if you include the wasted space underneath the cube)

Oh, and it only costs a little more than a "big" computer, not a ridiculous amount more...

Max one out with a 3.06 GHz P4
gig of DDR 400MHz ram (could do 2 gigs of course)
a couple 200 GB Hard drives
ATI Radeon 9700 All in wonder (With TV Tuner and all that)
4X superdrive

For just $1800

Or get a pretty basic one for $525
Athlon XP 2400+ (2.0 GHz)
512 DDR Ram
80 GB Hard drive
48X Combo Drive

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Excerpt from the article:

"Co-developed by Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard, Athens sports a translucent case, integrated wireless phone complete with handset and headset, integrated video camera for video conferencing and a gorgeous 23-inch flat panel display with an integrated CD/DVD drive built into the monitor."

So, how many times can you say INTEGRATED in one sentence?:rolleyes:

Seriously, it looks fine, but it runs Windows. With Palladium.
'nuff said.

ps- I can actually see that price being ok. LCD prices will go down eventually.

HumanJHawkins

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2001
Hood River, OR
Not just a concept... Not expensive either

Hi all,

Please don't flame the messenger, but to correct some posts suggesting that this would never be consumer available, it is.

Walk into a Fry's, or their competitor, and you will find several "Flex-ITX" or "Mini-ITX" systems with quite good specs and quite low prices. They are very close to the same size as the G4 cube.

One, barebones for $350 includes:
AMD 2+ GHz Athlon XP
2 GB PC2700 RAM max
Dual Monitor nVidia GeForce4 MX 64MB graphics onboard
8x AGP for if the GeForce4 isn't enough.
Serial ATA
FireWire
USB 2.0
Optical Digital 6.1 Audio out
BlueTooth
100Base-T
56K v.92 modem

Add an Athlon XP 2500+ cpu ($130), superdrive ($200), hard drive ($120), 1 GB DDR RAM ($200), and Windows XP OEM ($140), and you have close to the best you can get in the Windows world for $1140.

Or, use cheaper components and half the RAM to get a still high end system for about $700.

Or, eliminate Windows and use Linux... then you are down to $550.

Apple did it 2 years ago... Seems about right that the Wintel world would be getting to this point about now.

rjwill246

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
The Shuttle

I took a look to see how Cube-like it is and... it is exactly what you would expect. The words 'design' or 'aesthetics' never came up in the planning stages. If Apple ever does another Cube, it will be an award winner (as was the original) and Apple will again show how to make form and function INTEGRATE into something that is both a joy to see and to use. I still can't for the life of me, figure out why Sony seems so incapable of rising above the usual manufacturing dross as they used to be so concerned with the "look" of their products. Anyway, for now Apple seems to have such a lead on form, if not always, function.
I think that a Cube, with the iPod's silver, white and clear plastic would be a knockout... and NO BLUE LIGHTS!!!

jakel

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2003
MO
I read the article and I too was surprised at the price. However did it not say in there that this computer would not be available until late next year? If so, then I don't think the price is so surprising, and it is possible that the imac could offer similiar features, a 970, and a similar price by then.

damax452

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
Ghey

That HP PC looks dumb IMO. Give it up, Bill...stick to owning half the world and making ****ty looking products.

Now, Bill Gates is not one I'd want to design anything for beauty or coolness' sake...however, 99% of the computer market runs his OS. He must have done SOMETHING right. I am not ashamed to say that i am mainly a PC user. Why? Because the world caters to Windows based computers...nearly all the games, business apps, and other software is written for PC. They are easily upgradeable and all the major computer stores sell many accessories. The computer world does not work well with two different sets of software/hardware to fiddle with. IMO, combine all hardware and software to be interchangeable. Standards are the one of the greatest creations of mankind. Use them. I'm not saying kill Apple, not at all, Apple is a great company. But I fear the company may fail if it does not conform to PC in some manner, which is obviously a standard accepted throughout the world.

Sorry if i'm off-topic, just wanted to speak my piece. ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Bill Gates may have been with something of style. Apple has Steve Jobs with a whole line of machines with style. Our Steve has style himself, he's handsome and trim! ;)

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
There's another article about it here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/computing/20030505-1355-ca-futurepc.html

030506gates.jpg

I was like "woah, Billy boy's demoing a mac!" Then I saw the ugly hardware... The sad thing is that they're not even trying to hide the fact that they're copying Apple...

I smell a lawsuit. Even with the desktop picture...

If I saw Bill Gates on the street, and I kicked his ass, and beat him with my 12" PowerBook, would you guys post my bail and buy me a new PowerBook?

It'd be worth the assault charges... I think... I dunno...

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Urg,
No one will buy LongHorn, it has so mean 'features' they outdid them selves.

Read on about how the OS is going to stop piracy, read how Article 6 in the M$ contract will make them (and everyone they allow) access to your hardrive! :eek:

Now THATS secure baby!

edit: did I forget about overclocking, *somehow* windows will know when you overclock and either revert it or fry your chip

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Re: Re: Ghey

Here, here. Damax really needs to check out the pet peeves
thread. Then he might learn that many people are annoyed by
the use of the word 'gay' for things that aren't homosexual, bright,
or happy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

voicegy

macrumors 65816
...besides the word "Gay" being used as a lazy slang for those who have no command of the language and otherwise could not articulate their thoughts....

But back to the topic at hand....

I swear, no matter what that Mr. Gates tries to roll out, it misses the mark every time. That "thing" prototype-mess looks like a little evil robot out on the prowl with its arms raised up in a threatening manner, ready to assimilate all who come near it.

Spare me.:eek:

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Re: Apple should learn from shuttle and come back with a new cube

Originally posted by acj
I think the engineering quality is on par or better than Apple's Cube, considering the hot CPU's they have to work with (so they are louder with a fan). I find the Shuttle Cubes vastly superior in every other way to the Apple Cubes, software aside. Of course, they are much newer, but I still appreciate a full sized AGP card, two RAIDed hard drives, six USB 2.0 ports, 3 FireWire ports, inexpensive desktop components, and a fast, upgradable CPU. All this with an internal PSU, and basically the same size as the cube (if you include the wasted space underneath the cube)

Oh, and it only costs a little more than a "big" computer, not a ridiculous amount more...

The reason I graded the engineering on the shuttle below that of the cube is because the cube had more style. Apple successfully (I think) integrated form and function, in a better way than the shuttle. The cube had no fan, and ran almost silently, whereas the shuttle is anything but. That for me makes the difference. Of course, the shuttle makes up for it with the features you mentioned, but that wasn't the aim and purpose of a cube.

It's just a matter of opinion. I still really like the shuttle though, and will probably be buying one at some stage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.