Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Usually my Mac Pro boots really fast, at around 12 seconds, but after I installed a piece of audio software yesterday, it constantly does the "prebindings" updating on each boot. It is making me crazy. I tried to completely uninstall that software, rebuild the prebindings, rebuilt the Spotlight too and repaired permissions. Still prevails, heeeeelp!

Richard Flynn

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Sydney
Usually my Mac Pro boots really fast, at around 12 seconds, but after I installed a piece of audio software yesterday, it constantly does the "prebindings" updating on each boot. It is making me crazy. I tried to completely uninstall that software, rebuild the prebindings, rebuilt the Spotlight too and repaired permissions. Still prevails, heeeeelp!

Is this ‘piece of audio software’ Audio Hijack or Soundflower (both from Rogue Amoeba)? If so, it probably installed Unsanity’s Application Enhancer (APE) which has had problems with Rosetta/prebindings (even though APE is itself a Universal Binary). In order completely to remove APE from your system (if this is what the problem is), then you should download the APE installer program from the APE website, run the installer, and choose the option to 'Uninstall'. Restart, and see if your problem continues.

You can see if APE is installed because it adds a prefpane to System Preferences. It also puts files in /Library/Frameworks, and other locations. As I found recently, even if you've removed the prefpane but not the other files, it can still cause problems with Rosetta/prebindings.

I hope this helps.

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Is this ‘piece of audio software’ Audio Hijack or Soundflower (both from Rogue Amoeba)? If so, it probably installed Unsanity’s Application Enhancer (APE) which has had problems with Rosetta/prebindings (even though APE is itself a Universal Binary). In order completely to remove APE from your system (if this is what the problem is), then you should download the APE installer program from the APE website, run the installer, and choose the option to 'Uninstall'. Restart, and see if your problem continues.

You can see if APE is installed because it adds a prefpane to System Preferences. It also puts files in /Library/Frameworks, and other locations. As I found recently, even if you've removed the prefpane but not the other files, it can still cause problems with Rosetta/prebindings.

I hope this helps.

thanks for your suggestions. No, it was "KORE" by Native Instruments. And I believe I have now removed all traces of it, but still no luck.

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
I found the solution, and it WAS related to "APED" - caused by an installation of Application Enhancer. I am currently trying to find out if NI software is installing this.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Im having the same problems with my Macbook Pro. And I have not installed or uninstalled any software recently but it started about 3 days ago. Boot up times have slowed down a bit but the main slow down is when its loading the desktop. When I check activity monitor i see prebindings there and taking up a huge amount of ram. Dunno whats causing it at all :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.