Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Its so hard to remember which artist to look under... If Apple made it possible to have multiple artist tags, these songs could be found under any of the 3 artists names! It would make my library so much more organized.
Smart playlist? Add all of your jazz artists to it or use the jazz genre tag. As for finding it in the list, having it under each artist would make the library even longer to scroll through, which seems like a waste of space and time. If you type "armstrong" into the search bar, it will automatically find all his solo work and also any duets, trios, quartets, and what have you.

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
It seems confirmed that AppleTV will support Gaming
Code:
"4309.161" = "Are you sure you want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV “^1” will be replaced with games from this iTunes library.";
"4309.162" = "Are you sure you do not want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV “^1” will be removed.";
"4309.163" = "Syncing games on “^1”…";
"4309.164" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because they cannot be played on this Apple TV.";
"4309.165" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library, including the game “^0”, were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because they cannot be played on this Apple TV.";
"4309.166" = "The game “^0” was not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because it cannot be played on this Apple TV.";
"4309.167" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because you are not authorized to play them on this computer.";
"4309.168" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library, including the game “^0”, were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because you are not authorized to play them on this computer.";
"4309.169" = "The game “^0” was not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because you are not authorized to play it on this computer.";
"4309.170" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because there is not enough free space on the Apple TV.";
"4309.171" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because the game is corrupt and could not be read.";
"4309.172" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because the game could not be found.";
"4309.173" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because an error occurred (^3).";
"4309.174" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because an error occurred. ";

Good find, Kerio!

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
459.44MB despite being in coverflow mode.

Repaired permissions?

Yeah when I repaired permissions it went back down and when I scroll again it goes back up to 800mb of use. No big deal considering I have 3gb of ram but still it drives me nutz using so much ram.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Same here on my iMac (20" CD, 1.5GB RAM).

And, at this early stage, not eating anywhere near as much RAM. Run through all my albums in Coverflow - used to be a bit spiky and RAM usage would go to 750-800MB. Now smooth as butter and only(!) using 468MB. Still hefty, but an appreciated step in the right direction.

Chris

Still using about 800mb on my system.:(

459.44MB despite being in coverflow mode.

Repaired permissions?

Are you guys talking about iTunes or OSX ? Virtual or real memory?

iTunes is only using 90 megs on my system.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting that QT and iTunes are almost the same version. Wonder if they will turn into one piece of software? Doubt it but it is interesting to me.

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Smart playlist? Add all of your jazz artists to it or use the jazz genre tag. As for finding it in the list, having it under each artist would make the library even longer to scroll through, which seems like a waste of space and time. If you type "armstrong" into the search bar, it will automatically find all his solo work and also any duets, trios, quartets, and what have you.

What you say is true, and I will definitely try using more smart playlists... but it seems like there should be a more elegant solution. I understand the library would be longer, but in my example... the artists I listed currently take up 6 separate artist fields, when they should only take up 3, with multiple artist tags. I'd be willing to trade a longer library list in order to find what songs I want under each artist's name.

ClaphamChris

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
London, UK
Yeah when I repaired permissions it went back down and when I scroll again it goes back up to 800mb of use. No big deal considering I have 3gb of ram but still it drives me nutz using so much ram.

I've repaired permissions, had another spin through in full screen Coverflow and it's sitting there now with Coverflow in-window and RAM usage down to 293MB now.

Clearly something's different in how iTunes is handling the cover art - hope you find the same experience somehow! Agree with you completely. Love iTunes, but hell, 800MB of RAM to play a bit of music is a heck of a lot.

mopar003

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
iTunes Artwork

But only if both

1) The album is available on the iTunes music store and,
2) you have an account on the iTune store

I have many albums that are not available on iTunes store. For those I've found many on Amazon or some other on-line retailer of physical CDs. Worst case is that I had to scan the CD insert.

Or you can go to http://www.allcdcovers.com. Nice high quality for printing, fits great for iTunes as well. Needs to use Firefox though.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
If you've got the RAM, then it's going to use it. Isn't that the point of having 3GB? The only problem is if iTunes doesn't give it up when something else has a higher priority.

ClaphamChris

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
London, UK
Are you guys talking about iTunes or OSX ? Virtual or real memory?

iTunes is only using 90 megs on my system.

iTunes, real memory. Was using up to 1.7GB of virtual memory previously.

Now idling along with Ray Charles at 293MB real RAM, 537MB VM.

Makes me happy anyhow!

And matticus 008 - see what you're saying. But looks to me like iTunes is requesting less resource while doing a better job. That's all I mean. Used to frustrate me to watch the beachball as I tried to slip back into Word while a 'pretty MP3 player' wsa sucking 800MB of RAM. Looks like it may be a much better compromise now.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
What you say is true, and I will definitely try using more smart playlists... but it seems like there should be a more elegant solution. I understand the library would be longer, but in my example... the artists I listed currently take up 6 separate artist fields, when they should only take up 3, with multiple artist tags. I'd be willing to trade a longer library list in order to find what songs I want under each artist's name.
Hmm. You could always do this manually if that's really what you want. It would be tedious, though.

Copy the songs to your desktop and then drag them back into iTunes. Rename the new copies to a different artist, and then delete the copied files. It'll put that little "!" not found icon in front of them, and just update the location to the original file. Now you have two entries, one labeled for each artist, pointing to the same file.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
RAM usage

If you've got the RAM, then it's going to use it. Isn't that the point of having 3GB? The only problem is if iTunes doesn't give it up when something else has a higher priority.

Yeah, but 800mb? I've got 2G RAM, and still using only 54mb....

mopar003

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
CoverFlow

I have yet to see coverFlow work on my mac! Figured this might ahve fixed whatever problem I have, but no. Anyone have any ideas why CoverFlow will not work? All files have artwork, but all I get is black. Help!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I have yet to see coverFlow work on my mac! Figured this might ahve fixed whatever problem I have, but no. Anyone have any ideas why CoverFlow will not work? All files have artwork, but all I get is black. Help!

Does your video card support Core Image?

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Yeah, but 800mb? I've got 2G RAM, and still using only 54mb....
Are you running in Cover Flow and scrolling through a library of several thousand songs? Each album cover is somewhere around 700KB-1MB, so if you have a few hundred albums or more, it's going to eat a good chunk of RAM if there's free RAM available to it.

iTunes stays relatively small if you stay out of CoverFlow mode (73MB for me).

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Are you running in Cover Flow and scrolling through a library of several thousand songs? Each album cover is somewhere around 700KB-1MB, so if you have a few hundred albums or more, it's going to eat a good chunk of RAM if there's free RAM available to it.

iTunes stays relatively small if you stay out of CoverFlow mode (73MB for me).

I have 1932 albums if that makes a difference.:eek:

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
downloaded, installed, everything looks ok. Maybe 10.4.9 is coming tomorrow then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.