Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wangchunggti337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I currently own a 12" PowerBook, 1.5Ghz, 80GB HDD, SuperDrive, 512mb ram, etc. This is the latest revision of the 12". It also has AppleCare with a bit under 2 years left. The battery was just replaced with the battery exchange. I have taken great care of this computer and have always use a case and screen protector when carrying it. I've had zero problems overall.

I'm a college student, so having a laptop is often useful with all the WiFi networks around. But another plus is all the computer labs, I really wouldn't have to have a laptop if I didn't already own one.

I'm thinking of selling now before Leopard and any potentially new Macs come out. I paid around $1500 plus 349 for applecare. I'm wondering if now is the best time to sell. I've seen similar Macs go for 1000+ on eBay. They sell this setup for 1199 on the refurb store.

What can I look to get for it? Would it make sense to sell this and swap for a refurbed/used macbook for the time being?

Thanks,

Jim

djpl

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
I would sell now, especially with rumors of a smaller laptop coming soon from Apple. The only reason 12-inch PB's have held their value is because they are still the smallest Apple laptop you can get.

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
It really depends on what your needs are. For some people anything bigger than the 12" are just to big to carry to class.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
I have a similar one - 12" Rev D 1.5GHz 80GB SuperDrive 1.25GB Ram - but i love it too much to get rid of it. I think perhaps if Apple comes out with a sub-computer with similar power (10.5-12.5" [widescreen] would be ideal) I might sell it or swap it, but until then I'm not getting rid of it!

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
If you're happy with it, then there isn't too much of a reason to get a new one. For the price I could upgrade my iMac G5 to be able to run Final Cut Studio, I could just get a new iMac, but it doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle to me. But if a nice new member of the MacBook family is very appealing to you and would like something faster or a widescreen, then go for it! PowerPC's were worth nothing last summer, but they're now starting to be worth something.

scmacdaddy

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2002
LA
Same computer, except i got it for $1299 with free applecare (1.3 years left), and paid off half of it with my old ibook, but that's neither here nor there.I maxed out the RAM for a hundred bucks: totally worth it. i have it hooked up to a 19" samsung lcd with an 80 gb and a 500 gb external. i wouldnt trade it for anything currently on the market and rumors of an apple ultraportable are just that: rumors. when one actually comes out, then maybe i'll sell, but i'll prob just keep her for the memories. i'm graduating school in may and will either get a 24" imac or a high end mini hooked up to a huge lcd when i get real job. i had a 14" ibook but hated dragging it around. my powerbook is and feels so much smaller. i guess my point is i love my current setup. you should consider a large lcd (great 19" lcds can be had for under $200 from time to time) and an external hd for more of a desktop feel while at home. then you always have the option of using your powerbook on a roadtrip or airplane where there aren't any labs. Plus you still have all your prefs and bookmarks. Sorry for the long post but i went through a phase where i wanted a high end destop for speed, screen real estate, etc. I couldn't be happier ( until apple releases a 10" macbook pro :) )

wangchunggti337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for all the input. I definitely am happy with this computer, it has served me well. I'm just thinking for the future. If I ever do want to sell it, this is a time where I will be getting the most for it, am I right? After a new 10" MBP does come out, this will be worth even less. I could also sell this and get a standard macbook to hold me by for now.

macnvrbck

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
I got the PowerBook in my signature in January 2006 for $950 off Amazon's Warehouse_Deals referb. It has also served me SOOOO well. I also have a slight problem, I have less than 10 gigs of space on the HD and would like a superdrive. I love the portability and I'm also tech savvy, but it scared me to crack it open, replaced the HD and superdrive...... what are my options ?

B

djpl

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
You should just search on eBay and see what they have been going for.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Keep the 12"

I have 3 of them because they are small and do everything just like the rest but probably a bit slower. If you are in school just get and external monitor and keyboard w/mouse and you have a very good personal computer.

I used to edit video in mine for two years until I got the quad G5. I am not planing in selling my computers any time soon and people really like them.

the 12" design is unique still and you can burn DVDs and connect to wireless networks and you have all the require ports. Despite it fits every where.

Keep it until the end of the year at least.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
I got the PowerBook in my signature in January 2006 for $950 off Amazon's Warehouse_Deals referb. It has also served me SOOOO well. I also have a slight problem, I have less than 10 gigs of space on the HD and would like a superdrive. I love the portability and I'm also tech savvy, but it scared me to crack it open, replaced the HD and superdrive...... what are my options ?

B

Unless you are a gifted computer surgeon, I would not even try to replace the optical drive in a 12".

For less money you can get an external burner that will be faster and usable on any computer.

The HD on the other hand should be doable with the right instructions.

I have the slightly older model and have opted for external HDs and I'm building an external DVD burner from the old G4 tower (may it rest in peace.) (My Superdrive will only burn with 4x and 2x media and I can't find any in town anymore.)

Onebutton

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2006
i'm in kind of the same position.

what i'm going to do is to just keep my 12" though and when leopard comes out get whatever imac i can get for around $1k.

then use my 12" for when i need a laptop and use my imac as my main computer and maybe even turn my 12" into an apple tv when it is not in use.

bored911

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
NYC
def sell it now. with the possiblilities of smaller mbp's coming, yours is going to be obsolete quickly

wangchunggti337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

I have been searching eBay and seeing my 12" sell for anywhere from 600 to 1300. Does my AppleCare not help the price at all?

wangchunggti337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I think I've come to the conclusion I should sell. But what should I look to get for it? Should I just eBay it?

Is it worth it if I only get 700-1000?

Thanks,

Jim

djpl

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
Put it this way... the longer you wait the more the value will drop. Sell now on eBay unless you are just so in love with it that you don't want to upgrade.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I also desperatly need a new laptop, cos my 890MHz 12" PowerBook is getting really slow, and a 40GB is hard to live with. I originally was gonna get a fully loaded black MacBook (2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB, but now i think it would be more worth it to get a refubished MacBook Pro (2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB model) for not much more money, but a lot more computer. My only problem is that i have grown used to the size of a 12" PowerBook, MacBook Pros seem huge.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Wang-

I think if it were me, I'd sell it and replace it with a refurbished Macbook. The main reason is economic-as others have said, if (when) Apple release something in the same size range as your 12", the value will decrease further. Right now you could probably come close to paying for a refurb Macbook; later on, it seems unlikely you would get as close.

Also, you'd then have something current and wouldn't be limited in what you can do with it, and it seems likely you'll have fewer issues with support in the future.

Applecare: I would personally pay more for a laptop that has Applecare coverage remaining. However, the added value of Applecare on eBay seems to be hit or miss--some machines without it go for more than some with it. Also, I'm a big fan of computers that have everything with them--the original box, restore discs, manuals, etc. I might never use them, but to me, still having them at least implies a higher level of concern for the computer by the owner.

Best,

Bob

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I was looking for a PB 15" and there seems to be a ton of 12" on eBay - thus bringing the price down.

Looks like everyone is going to the MacBook or is getting ready for the new releases...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.