Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cafe99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Hi,

I have a problem, I need to install a program call zimbra and the software ask me to login as root.

I can't remember that I have enter or change password for this super user root account.

Anyone can point me to the right direction?

Many thanks!:)

Choong Leng

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
By default ROOT is not activated. You must go to your utilities folder and go to net info manager and activate the ROOT account.

Once in net info manager go to:

1. Security
2. Authenticate
3. Security
4. Enable Root User
5. Follow prompts

Good luck, though playing with root is risky and make sure you are 100% sure this is required.

Reactions: TonyK

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
As long as we're talking root access, here's another question. I normally use a Standard User account, probably because I'm still a little bit skittish - I'm a recent switcher :D - and I noticed something strange. If I'm in my Standard User account and have to use the terminal and use the 'sudo' command, i get a prompt for a password. When I enter the Administrator account password, the prompt indicates that I entered the wrong password. When I log into the Administrator account, however, I can use the 'sudo' command with no problems. Why is that?

HawaiiMacAddict

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
As long as we're talking root access, here's another question. I normally use a Standard User account, probably because I'm still a little bit skittish - I'm a recent switcher :D - and I noticed something strange. If I'm in my Standard User account and have to use the terminal and use the 'sudo' command, i get a prompt for a password. When I enter the Administrator account password, the prompt indicates that I entered the wrong password. When I log into the Administrator account, however, I can use the 'sudo' command with no problems. Why is that?

HawaiiMacAddict

By default only admins are in the sudoers file - however if you're reasonably Unix-savvy, you can add your non-admin account in as well (and it will stay there).

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
By default only admins are in the sudoers file - however if you're reasonably Unix-savvy, you can add your non-admin account in as well (and it will stay there).

From a technical point of view Westside answered your question. However, since you are "a little skittish", you should accept the extra security of having to log into a separate administrator account. Otherwise you might as well have the convenience of working as an administrator all the time.

hzm1016

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2018

Actually, I see some confusion here due to several misunderstandings: (1) HawaiiMacAddict is using the Admin (root) password instead of his own user password; sudo wants the USER's password for authentication. (2) Westside guy's reply refers to the sudoers file, but the result is different if the user is not in sudoers: if the user enters the correct (his own) password, but that user is not in the sudoers file, the response is a refusal due to not being in the file -- not a complaint about an incorrect password. (3) The root user can always invoke sudo without a password challenge (presumably, so that scripts that include sudo invocations will work for root without delaying for the password -- root already has root privileges). (4) Finally, note that the sudo command "remembers" for a short time (a few minutes) after a user has successfully authenticated and does not challenge on subsequent sudo invocations during that interval (but only in the same shell session; a sudo command in another window will get challenged for the password).

Why does sudo want the USER's password? At least two reasons: (1) so that no user needs the root password, and (2) users can individually be granted a specific set of commands that can be invoked via sudo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.