Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Calgary.Alberta.Canada
is there such an app that can get a gps location of youre computer if its connected to the internet?
They have such capabilities on cell phones, using cell towers, im wondering if there is something similar for macs.
I tried google and couldnt find anything.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Certain cellphones can get their locations by triangulating several towers. You could buy a GPS unit with USB or bluetooth that is made for computers if you really want that info but there is no way to do it just by being connected to the internet.

JBot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Calgary.Alberta.Canada
i know that technology is available using cell phones, but i read somewhere that you can get software that will get your location from your cell phone and put it on your computer. (expecting that you have your cell phone connected to your laptop using bluetooth or cord of course.)
Does anyone know what that software would be?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
i know that technology is available using cell phones, but i read somewhere that you can get software that will get your location from your cell phone and put it on your computer. (expecting that you have your cell phone connected to your laptop using bluetooth or cord of course.)
Does anyone know what that software would be?
In response to your first post, GPS has nothing to do with the Internet. Your position as determined by triangulatinng cell towers has only limited accuracy. Some cell phones are being equipped with GPS. If, however, you want your location on your computer, you are much better served using a GPS receiver to transfer your coordinates to your computer. Garmin and other GPS vendors specialize in this sort of thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.