Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
ok, i'm new to OS X server, and i'm having a hard time with it. i'm trying to use Open Directory, but how do i get a client computer to be able to log in to the server?

i have setup Directory Access correctly, i think, on the client machine. but how do i get it to look for the server at the login screen?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You should have an Other option on the login screen. If not, check your Directory Access settings again.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
You should have an Other option on the login screen. If not, check your Directory Access settings again.

is there a certain Directory Access setting that i'm missing? i have the client binded to the server (i think), and i have everything set right (i think). i used a turtorial to set it up, and searched apple documents online as well

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've only done it with AD, so I'm not certain of the details with OD. However, I believe that you want to use LDAP and add the OD server in there (click New and add it).

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I've only done it with AD, so I'm not certain of the details with OD. However, I believe that you want to use LDAP and add the OD server in there (click New and add it).

thanks. yes, i have done that. do i have to use DHCP service with it for it to work?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well, i got to login my server one time, and after updating to 10.4.9 i can't login anymore!

i found this error in my LDAP log:

slapd[12622]: SASL [conn=53] Failure: no user in database\n

what does that mean?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Waitup....

for Open Directory to work this must be the working order:

- Setup Mac OS X Server preferably on a network with a DNS on which a DNS entry has been made for your Mac OS X Server.
- Setup the Mac OS X Server as a Open Directory Master (choose a Direcory Administrator shortname, default = diradmin, and password). You'll notice the Kerberos realm to be akin the DNS entry of you Mac OS X Server
- Create Users in the Open Directory: First Open Workgroup Manager, click on "authenticate", choose for LDAP v3, 127.0.0.1, and enter the diradmin name created above, then create users

- Go to your client Mac. Ideally this Mac shares the same DNS as the server.
- Goto Directory Access, and double click LDAP v3
- Click on "new", and enter the DNS name of your Mac OS X Server / OD Master (can do with IP address aswell)
- It should confirm the OD settings.
- Make sure that in System Prefs, Accounts, Login Options, the "Automatically Login as.." is unchecked.
- Reboot the client Mac, and login as OD User.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.