Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i'd say use a flash drive, not a minidisc. there are many flash recorders that'll do uncompressed audio.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I've been thinking about getting a little flash recorder for a while now but have beeb hesitant because I don't know what the quality would be like.

How would it fair when having to record a *very loud* live performance?

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
You clearly have a specific task in mind. :)

Try posting your budget and goals. We can help ... we just need enough info to do so.

Budget is <£40. My goals are simply to get the best/clearest possible recording quality of a live band (drums, bass, guitars, vocals) in a crowded indoor venue.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
anything approaching a decent recording starts w/ mic placement, up near the instruments and away from the crowds. if you're doing a kind of engineering thing for the band (i.e. with their permission), 40 quid will get you a couple mic cables and not much else.

if you're planning on recording on the sly from the crowd, save your money and borrow a video camera to try out as a recording device. that's what a handheld recorder from the crowd will sound like.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
anything approaching a decent recording starts w/ mic placement, up near the instruments and away from the crowds. if you're doing a kind of engineering thing for the band (i.e. with their permission), 40 quid will get you a couple mic cables and not much else.

if you're planning on recording on the sly from the crowd, save your money and borrow a video camera to try out as a recording device. that's what a handheld recorder from the crowd will sound like.

Sony recorder then? :)

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK

I know that this is the best way to record a band, but I was simply wondering if you can get a sound that is anywhere near acceptable using just a handheld recorder. I'm a Music and Sound Technologu undergraduate, I swear I'm not completely ignorant in this topic, I've just had no experience whatsoever with handheld recorders :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.