Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madalves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
Is there any way to convert my DivX and Xvid movies so i can watch on Apple TV?? And if so, is there a way to convert with the .srt subtitles??

I've dl some trial converters that do convert .avi to .mp4 and the itunes recognize the format, but it`s really slow and i don't know if it`s gonna work on Apple TV. Any suggestions??

Tks

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Is there any way to convert my DivX and Xvid movies so i can watch on Apple TV?? And if so, is there a way to convert with the .srt subtitles??

I've dl some trial converters that do convert .avi to .mp4 and the itunes recognize the format, but it`s really slow and i don't know if it`s gonna work on Apple TV. Any suggestions??

Tks

iTunes you can just change the container to .mov, but it sounds like for Apple TV you will certainly need to re-encode the program. Subtitles probably won't work.

If you have Quicktime pro and divx installed, you can use Quicktime to export in "Apple TV" format. It is very slow though (couple hours on my intel mac for a 1 hour or so video).

Wiley

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2007
DivX to H.264 with SRT subtitles

Yes, FFmpegX can convert DivX files to H.264 and include your .srt subtitles.
It's a little compliated though, and unless you have a very fast computer, the conversion can take a very long time.

In FFmpegX, drag the Divx file onto the 'source' window, for the quick preset on the right, select h.264 (mencoder) (when you install ffmpegx, you'll need to install a couple of libraries that are available seperately off the web, mencoder is one of them).
Click on the filters tab, then there should be a button for 'load subs'. Select your srt file here. The default location for the subtitles in the frame is "80" which is almost always way too high for me. I've had better luck with "90".
You don't need to check "vob subtitles" because that would be for encoding from a DVD's Video TS vile.

There's more information here: http://ffmpegx.com/filters.html

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'm interested in this topic too, but my problem is with shrinking DVD files and including the subtitles, while still keeping the image at full quality. (I don't mind dumping the sound)

MacTheRipper rips my DVDs fine, but I'm still baffled by how to set up Handbrake to keep the quality and subtitles. Quick guide anyone?

Trebel

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2007
I'm interested in this topic too, but my problem is with shrinking DVD files and including the subtitles, while still keeping the image at full quality. (I don't mind dumping the sound)

MacTheRipper rips my DVDs fine, but I'm still baffled by how to set up Handbrake to keep the quality and subtitles. Quick guide anyone?

I'm using Handbrake for that. It can embed the chapters of the DVD in the Apple TV format and convert multiple episodes of a tv show into different files.. It's quite easy to use!

aleperroca

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2009
I need some help here.
Trying to synchronize a .srt subtitle file to an .avi movie. I`ve been working on VLC, and I`ve already tryed J and H to skip lines, but useless. I was then led to Jubler, and then i could change line timing, but the sequence of lines did not respect the change. Can anyone help me?
aleperroca@hotmail.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.