Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccer1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
Hi. I have a question about iphoto and its driving me insane.. If I download a picture from somewhere I simply drag it into iphoto. This is great. However.... I am going mad because everytime i drag a picture into iphoto it creates a new roll. The problem I have is if I want to upload a picture to the web and I hit browse button in safari I now have a gazillion rolls and no clue where the picture is. How do you guys upload pictures easily? I understand iphoto makes rolls for better organization but this screws me up when I drag single pictures to iphoto and than have to find them. Can someone help???

thanks

Paul S

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
I don't have an answer, but that is what I find a bit annoying, as well. You could just type in the name of the picture in the document to help you find it faster...that is if you remember the name of it.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Afraid I don't have an answer for you, but I have the same problem as you. I've been using Mac's for a little under 2 years now and have never gotten on with iPhoto.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
I don't use iPhoto, but when you get the columns view to choose which photo to upload and have made it to the iPhoto folder, expose' back to the picture in iPhoto, right click to id the date and title, and choose the appropriate folder/image from your iPhoto folder.

Yeah this sucks, I wish it were like iTunes and remember an ailas to your original so that we can organize manually and with no redundancy.

demendonca

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2007
Give one of the rolls a title like "misc shots" by clicking on the little roll icon and then changing the title in the info box bottom left.
Now I know ther is a more elegant way of doing this and I will post it when I figure it out, but for now you can:

1.use the slider bar (bottom left under search) to shrink your library so that rolls are closer together.

2. drag the untitled single shot rolls (click hold the roll icon not the picture) into your "misc shot" roll.

the rest of yout numbered rolls will change acordingly as you subtract rolls.

The only problem with this so far is that I can't figure out how to scroll on the page to get the single shot roll to your "misc shot" roll if they aren't close enough together.

demendonca

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2007
Alright got this one
Make sure that you are in your iPhoto Library
click the disclosure triangle next to Library
make sure that all the years are checked (don't ask me why)
Highlight pictures you want in a new roll or control click the rolls you want to amalgamate.
then go File>Creat New Roll
That should do it.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
When I need to upload photos from iPhoto I just drag them to the desktop. Upload them and then delete the photos from my desktop.

soccer1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
yippy thats a pretty good idea.. one issue though for some reason some pictures dont allow me to drag them to the desktop. When I drag and have the picture hoovering over the desktop some pictures i get the green plus but some i get the circle with line through it. Any ideas?

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
yippy thats a pretty good idea.. one issue though for some reason some pictures dont allow me to drag them to the desktop. When I drag and have the picture hoovering over the desktop some pictures i get the green plus but some i get the circle with line through it. Any ideas?

Are you dragging from the library or from one of the folders. the images in the folder are just aliased from the the library. That might cause a problem but I'm not totally sure

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.