Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptrael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a good solution for batch resizing photos within an iPhoto library to reduce the disk space taken by each photo.

In my library I have several that are 1-3MB, while they can get larger than this, if they are around the 500-800k mark performance is drastically better and the space required to store these photos is significantly less.

At the moment I batch resize photos using GraphicConverter then import them to iPhoto.

Ideally I would like to do this within iPhoto, however, iPhoto does not offer resizing in the its batch tasks.

I've seen AppleScripts that use Image Events and also iPhoto's own export resizing, but I am looking for a solution that would resize existing photos. Has anyone seen a good solution that does not adversely affect the iPhoto library?

Thanks.

razvandan

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
iSlimPhoto

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a good solution for batch resizing photos within an iPhoto library to reduce the disk space taken by each photo.

In my library I have several that are 1-3MB, while they can get larger than this, if they are around the 500-800k mark performance is drastically better and the space required to store these photos is significantly less.

At the moment I batch resize photos using GraphicConverter then import them to iPhoto.

Ideally I would like to do this within iPhoto, however, iPhoto does not offer resizing in the its batch tasks.

I've seen AppleScripts that use Image Events and also iPhoto's own export resizing, but I am looking for a solution that would resize existing photos. Has anyone seen a good solution that does not adversely affect the iPhoto library?

Thanks.

I had exactly the same problem (trying to fit the iPhoto library into the limited space of my Macbook Air) and I couldn't find a solution on the web, so... I built iSlimPhoto.

Please go ahead and use it to slim down your iPhoto library. It will take away 40-80% of its weight, without any noticeable loss in quality on your monitor (multi-megapixel images are resized anyway to be displayed on your monitor).

Grab it here:

http://www.appleications.com/iSlimPhoto/

Let me know if you liked it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.