Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I'm sick and tired of Hotmail's spam filtering and lack of usability.
I've added my GMail account to Adium as an MSN account, but when I enter my password to connect, it doesn't accept it, and keeps asking me for it over and over.

I know I am typing my password correctly. Does anyone have their GMail account set up as their MSN contact in Adium?

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I'm sick and tired of Hotmail's spam filtering and lack of usability.
I've added my GMail account to Adium as an MSN account, but when I enter my password to connect, it doesn't accept it, and keeps asking me for it over and over.

I know I am typing my password correctly. Does anyone have their GMail account set up as their MSN contact in Adium?

I assume you mean GTalk, and you need to setup GTalk as a Jabber account, not MSN. I believe instructions for connecting to Gtalk without a Gtalk client can be found on Google's page.

Here are some instructions with pictures to help you out.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Quick reply!

Will this GTalk protocol allow me to be in contact with people on my MSN list?

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Quick reply!

No. To talk with someone on MSN, you'll need to connect to the MSN network, and also have an MSN account. GTalk is only for Gmail accounts, and the two protocols don't play well with each other.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Quick reply!

No. GoogleTalk is a totally separate system. You need to register your @gmail.com address with MS's net password or whatever its called to be able to use it with MSN.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I have a few contacts on my list that use their GMail accounts...

Yes, your MSN Chat account name can be your gmail address, but you will have to create an MSN account using that email address.

Go here: https://accountservices.passport.net/reg.srf?sl=1&lc=1033

Tell it you have an email address, enter you gmail email address and all the other stuff and then your gmail address will be your MSN chat user name.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Yes, your MSN Chat account name can be your gmail address, but you will have to create an MSN account using that email address.

Go here: https://accountservices.passport.net/reg.srf?sl=1&lc=1033

Tell it you have an email address, enter you gmail email address and all the other stuff and then your gmail address will be your MSN chat user name.

What I was trying to say about the net passport thingy. ^^ :)

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.