Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malisota

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
I have a 2002 EMAC desktop and recently we have moved to a different home where the internet connection setup is more than I can figure out. Upstairs, 3 walls, and 200 ft away is the main wireless modem (Qwest 54 Actiontec). I want to know what other hardware (whether Apple product or not) would make my wireless connection to my desktop strong and reliable. After searching and researching with Best Buy and Apple employees, I have yet to find the correct combination of wireless card, adapters or any other items needed. I currently have a d-link wireless adapter (802.11) and an Airport Express. I know I need a wireless card of some kind but which? And do I need to worry more about increasing the range of the adapter before trying to get the more expensive wireless card?
Any experience with this would be happily accepted.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
The problem is that you are on an 802.11b or g wireless network (I assume) which just doesn't have the kind of range you need. Whole bunch of options...

1) Wireless repeater? Such as the following... http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=267&sec=0

2) Move the AP Extreme closer to the center of the palace where it's in range.

3) Upgrade the whole network to 802.11n, which has enough range for that kind of situation. You would need to get a new router though, and a USB adapter for the eMac, and I don't know if one exists yet.

4) Run a cable from the eMac to the router. Would be a pain, but it can be done professionally and would be more stable/faster. Hell, if you can afford that kind of house, why not lay down some fiber and upgrade to 10-gigabit ethernet.

5) Switch to a power line network. Also more stable/faster.

6) Move out of your palace and into a house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.