Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrjynx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
Toronto
Just a brief little rant about apple tv.

So up here in Canada we don't have any access to the itunes vid library most of the world has access to. (i know not apple's fault, CRTC) So that means we gotta convert everything into iTunes

Basically right now I'm searching, begging for a reason to buy the appletv but have yet been able to find a real compelling reason to pick one up.

So trying to get everything in order on my macpro, I noticed the conversion process into iTunes is HORENDOUS! I guess you can call me a "IT super tech guy" and I can fiddle around to get the output the way I like it. But talk about a real pain in the a$$ !!!

Why is there not a simple app. that lets you do one click to convert a file or even a purchased DVD. I've done the research, maybe i'm missing something but every single solution i've come across is cumbersome to say the least. This blog http://appletvhacker.blogspot.com/2007/03/mikes-hands-on-report-step-by-step-how.html has it pretty much down pat, but look at how complex it is. I really feel sorry for the people that bought this thinking it would magically import all of their vids and be off and running within a few mins of hooking it up.

So if someone has a quick and dirty way of keeping the resolution properly (and i don't mean convert, reconvert, then pull into qt pro) please let me know. I'm dying to buy something like this but so far i dont' think it'll be a good fit for my Sony 50" SXRD.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
have you heard of mediafork? can rip dvd's to m4v format (preferences/export as iPod/iTunes friendly). Does the job just fine for me. And it can be adjusted for you techy folks to adjust the quality. You can even have it at 100% quality, which i assume is DVD quality.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Are UK Region 2 DVDs also 720x480?

BTW, the referred article from the OP recommends MediaFork.

Cheers!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
For the non-DVD vid files... Hopefully when the "instant" version of the new Handbrake / Mediafork is released (they're skipping it for this round of betas), this will be easier. You could always use the old Instant Handbrake, though.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I bought VisualHub yesterday and so far I've been very happy with it. It does batch conversions, has default AppleTV settings, and imports directly into iTunes.

I was using MediaFork/Handbrake, which was fine, but VisualHub seems more complete to me at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.