Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Yeah, great stuff, 'ey? :)

To add a little more specific details:

The AwkwardTV project is working on building a bootable image based on the Open Source Darwin kernel. If successful, booting the modified Darwin image via an external USB drive would would allow mounting and editing of the internal hard disk, and permit the various hacks, such as enabling SSH, to be installed/enabled without opening the case.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple TV Booting off External USB

After initial reports of hacking the Apple TV to play other formats such as XviD, work has continued surrounding the Something Awful forum thread about how to get further functionality out of the Apple TV.

Users have been able to run various apps (World of Warcraft, VLC, Firefox) remotely through VNC. Other efforts reveal that the Apple TV does respond to an external keyboard.

The most significant step at this stage has been the ability to boot the Apple TV from an external USB drive. A video demos the external USB drive on an (essentially) unmodified Apple TV.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Holy crap. This is cool. It's almost like Apple wanted us to snoop around and start hacking this thing.

Currently, this is the least inexpensive Mac you can buy. :p

I can't wait to see what people have in store for this odd little contraption.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Quick work, the more this thing gets "modded" the more i am thinking about buying one.

(At this stage i have no need at all to buy one, my current telly 14" CRT is a lot smaller than my iMac 20" with eyeTV and all my content already on the iMac)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Excellent. If done properly, then, one could, for all intents and purposes, make all sorts of mods to the Apple TV via external drive without even affecting the internal drive, so that, if booted without the external, it would revert to original behavior. No warranty issues at all. Cool.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
and lets not forget about resolution independance in the next os...

the finder would not look so bad at hd video resolutions if for res independance...

every tv in the house is a head for your desktop with itv... i think thats cooler then booting off hd..

r.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Why on his AppleTV is he using the Yellow(composite) port(for vidoe)? AppleTV only support Red, Blue and Green(component) for Video(audio is the same on both)

He even say "use standard component" but the cord is 3(2 for audio) 1 yellow for vidoe, which is composite.

Here a pic if you don't want to watch the vidoe

Attachments

• Yellow.jpg
    Yellow.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 291
I posted in a previous thread that I was surprised someone didn't figure out how to boot linux on it within one day. I'm a bit disappointed in all you hackers out there... and i thought you were making progress... it takes you guys about a week?

where is that melvin guy from War Games, he can do it... :D

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Whatever sells more units for Apple is fine by me (maybe the halo effect will expand). I'm sure Apple Legal disagrees with me though...(ie torrenting the ATV OS)

/"\/oo\/"\

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Why on his AppleTV is he using the Yellow(composite) port(for vidoe)? AppleTV only support Red, Blue and Green(component) for Video(audio is the same on both)

He even say "use standard component" but the cord is 3(2 for audio) 1 yellow for vidoe, which is composite.

the cable is the same inside...just a different color plastic on the outside
th_dontknow.gif

kcroy

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Ohio
One more time...

Using "screen sharing" in iChat on Leopard you will be able to access your computer via AppleTV, checking email or surfing the web during commercial breaks; the same will be true with the iPhone (you will be able to access content on your computer throught your phone... video, music, etc.) The key is Leopard. June Baby!:D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think he's just using a standard A/V cable instead of a differently-colored Component one. Same ports, though. Don't be misled by the colors. :)

Edit: N/M. See above.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo

He is just using a cheap composite cord instead of a component cord, just because the colors don't match on the cord ends doesn't mean it won't work.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida

My guess is he used a composite + RL audio cable (yellow + red and white) instead a component cable which would have been RGB and probably no audio at all. The cables are all simply RCA phono at the end of the day.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
This is amazing: so I can buy a 500GB external USB and put the ?TV OS on it with the new codecs and boot from that and leave the original apple tv alone!! this is freaking amazing, and since it is always running it won't be a hassle!

Konradx

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Toronto, Canada
If this takes off im seriously considering buying this!! I asked previously on the forums if modding apple products was aloud, and alot of ppl said it wasnt. But im happy it is! Its not like we're stealing anything from apple, just making there products better:D

Im wondering if modding iTunes might be a better solution then modding the ATV?

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
I am missing something. I read the article but don't understand what this means about the benefit of the USB boot drive. Does this make the Apple TV a Apple computer that is controlled through your TV? Help me understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.