Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
I have an analog TV. Well Its not completly analog because it has widescreen resolution and Its hooked up with my home cinema speakers.
But it dosen't have component video nor HDMI conectors so I can't hook up an :apple: TV:(
I hope some third party developers create some kind of adaptor!
Because if they don' I don't know if :apple: TV is going to be a sucsess.
Remeber that HD Ready TV's are quite new to the market.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-anti-microsoft

Well, only tv's made in the last two or three years have Component. Without HDMI or Component, you're pretty much sunk.

Though you could get a receiver that takes Component in, and will output to Composite...

SW22

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2007
My lcd tv is only a year old, but it only has a scart connection. Would a scart to component adapter work? I use one to connect a portable dvd player sometimes, and that works.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
My lcd tv is only a year old, but it only has a scart connection. Would a scart to component adapter work? I use one to connect a portable dvd player sometimes, and that works.

-SW22

I don't see why not as both are analog, and split the Video signals up into channels.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hey, if it did work it would be Fantastic!!
Plus they're not dear at all, $30!
I would so like to have an :apple:tv!!
Thanks!!

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland

A scart connector is not a standard as RGB, Component, Composite, S-video are. It's only a connector that can house the before mentioned standards. On a scart connector on a recent TV, you usually have RGB, S-Video and Composite at the same time. In some cases you can have component as well but it totally depends on the TV. What you need to find out is whether or not your scart connector houses the component standard and if it does, get the adapter you mentioned and it should work.

Joshua.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
-anti-microsoft

Well, only tv's made in the last two or three years have Component. Without HDMI or Component, you're pretty much sunk.

Though you could get a receiver that takes Component in, and will output to Composite...

Actually Component has been on the market for getting close to a decade now. Just for the past 3-4 years its been more commonplace.

Kevin

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Hey, if it did work it would be Fantastic!!
Plus they're not dear at all, $30!
I would so like to have an :apple:tv!!
Thanks!!

Don't get confused: component and composite are different. SCART to component adaptors (actually component to SCART, in this case) exist, but won't help you unless you have SCART inputs on your TV, and it sounds like you don't. Sorry.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Don't get confused: component and composite are different. SCART to component adaptors (actually component to SCART, in this case) exist, but won't help you unless you have SCART inputs on your TV, and it sounds like you don't. Sorry.

Actually, if he's from europe, pretty much every TV here has a SCART connector. And like I explained previously, the SCART connector needs to have component video support for the said adapter to work. However, I don't know of many TVs that support component through the SCART connector.

What would give an acceptable result though is component -> RGB through SCART. Since the ATV supports 480i and the OP has an 480i (or 576i) widescreen TV, that solution would be ideal. RGB and component are similar in quality. I suspect this method could be quite expensive though.

Joshua.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia

As others have said - a component to scart adaptor would only work if your TV's scart was able to accept component. Unfortunately, afaik most scart TV inputs only do RGB, which is different.

There is a converter available in the UK. Not so cheap, but may be useful to you.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03/29/apple_tv_to_sd_converter_price_cut/

pickerin

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2007
I have an analog TV. Well Its not completly analog because it has widescreen resolution and Its hooked up with my home cinema speakers.
But it dosen't have component video nor HDMI conectors so I can't hook up an :apple: TV:(
I hope some third party developers create some kind of adaptor!
Because if they don' I don't know if :apple: TV is going to be a sucsess.
Remeber that HD Ready TV's are quite new to the market.

You have lots of options:

1) Component -> S-Video adapters. This site (no affiliation) is selling them: http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html Googling will find you alternatives.

2) HDMI->DVI cables. These are everywhere, Apple Stores sell them for $30 I think. However, if your TV doesn't have component it probably doesn't have DVI.

3) You can do two conversions, HDMI -> DVI -> S-Video (the HDMI to DVI and DVI to S-Video are both sold by Apple).

However, keep in mind that it's going to look bad. Fortunately the AppleTV does support 480i which is standard def TV signals.

-Rob

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
3) You can do two conversions, HDMI -> DVI -> S-Video (the HDMI to DVI and DVI to S-Video are both sold by Apple).

I don't think this will work. When you convert HDMI to DVI I'm pretty sure you only get DVI-D, which doesn't carry the analog signal. I think you can only convert DVI-A or DVI-I to analog, such as S-video, VGA, or composite.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
I don't think this will work. When you convert HDMI to DVI I'm pretty sure you only get DVI-D, which doesn't carry the analog signal. I think you can only convert DVI-A or DVI-I to analog, such as S-video, VGA, or composite.

That's exactly right. HDMI converts to digital DVI.
Those DVI -> VGA converters convert analog DVI. So no go on that one.

CaptainWOW

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2007
San Diego
Beat me to it (by a lot actually)

Actually Component has been on the market for getting close to a decade now. Just for the past 3-4 years its been more commonplace.

Kevin

I was just about to post that in a quick response but you beat me to it. I was going to say that my old TV from 2000 has a component video connection. So does one of my old DVD players - and it's from 1998!

Dazzler

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2002
Brisbane, Australia
You have lots of options:

1) Component -> S-Video adapters. This site (no affiliation) is selling them: http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html Googling will find you alternatives.

I have one of these adapters, and while they not cheap (even less so with an Australian to US currency conversion) I can confirm that it works an absolute treat with my television (an 81cm RCA widescreen).

The adaptor itself has inputs for the component cables, and an output to an s-video connection. Audio is completely independent of the converter box.
The adaptor is externally powered, and handles either NTSC or PAL with a flick of a switch.

If your television has no component inputs but has s-video, I highly recommend this adaptor (and no, I have no affiliation).

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Ok so here is what ports my TV has:
1x- S-video
1x- composite (audio L and R and Video)
4x- SCART

And THIS is what I was thinking to do:

-Purchase: a component to SCART cable.

Can someone tell me will this work?

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Ok so here is what ports my TV has:
1x- S-video
1x- composite (audio L and R and Video)
4x- SCART

And THIS is what I was thinking to do:

-Purchase: a component to SCART cable.

Can someone tell me will this work?

The standard/original scart separates signals using RGB (separating 3 colours). Component uses YUV (aka YPbPr) - separating the luminosity or something :).

However... the technologies have overlapped some, manufacturers setting up their systems to handle whatever comes there way. For example some manufacturers have YUV (instead of RGB) over scart - my satellite receiver sends out YUV via scart when I select that option, and I have a scart->component cable so my TV simply gets a component input.

So you need to see whether your TV's scart will accept YUV (as sent from the AppleTV).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.