Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2002
Was at CompUSA today and they happened to have the new eMacs in. More so than the eMac itself, I was interested in the new non-Pro mice/keyboards, so I played with them for a bit (had time to kill before going back in to work).

They do look cheaper than the old ones. Some notes-

- The keys feel a little smaller and have a little less travel, it seems. They're also not as contoured. The have a squarer look to them. The keys are also a bit stiffer.
- The keyboard is much smaller (or at least feels that way)... it's like a cross between the old iMac/G3 keyboard and the pro.
- The esc and F13 keys are wider, so there's no spaces on the left side of the keyboard.
- No arm underneath, just a flat surface as seen in pics.
- There's a big block of flat white plastic between the home/end/pgup/pgdn keys and the arrow keys. Kinda weird-looking, if you ask me.
- There is practically no lip around the edge of the keyboard. The control and keypad enter keys are rounded on 1 corner so that the bottom of the keyboard is rounded off, similar to the old non-extended Mac/IIGS keyboard.
- The mouse looks similar at first glance, but the 'wings' on the side, as well as the bottom of the mouse, are white plastic instead of clear.
- There's no ring around the LED hole.

Overall, they're definitely a cost-cutting move, but still better than the old iMac/G3 mice and keyboards. As for me, I'm glad I have an eMac with the old ones. But I could see the new stuff being more durable.

(PS Sorry if this has been posted, looked and didn't see it.)

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
cubist - that is a good guess. I saw them last night at the Palisades store... and I was entirely unimpressed! The biggest annoyance to me was that the angle of the keyboard is not adjustable; so if you like it flat to the table, you can't! Very weak.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
So because Apple is trying to promote better typing, relieve stress on the wrists and not add to the fatique caused by improper alignment due to a flat keyboard, you're unimpressed. Correct m,e if I'm wrong, but how many pc keyboards are adjustable?

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by Kid Red
So because Apple is trying to promote better typing, relieve stress on the wrists and not add to the fatique caused by improper alignment due to a flat keyboard, you're unimpressed. Correct m,e if I'm wrong, but how many pc keyboards are adjustable?

All of my PC keyboards have had little legs on the bottom that flip up to adjust the typing angle. As mentioned above, these may have been eliminated by Apple to increase durability. I can see them getting broken off in a classroom setting.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut

[edited]

(Moderators, do your best)

Personal attacks/insults will be removed and repeat offenders will be banned.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
So because Apple is trying to promote better typing, relieve stress on the wrists and not add to the fatique caused by improper alignment due to a flat keyboard, you're unimpressed.

You DO realize nearly all professionals recommend a flat keyboard, and many even recommend that the keyboard be tilted slight -away- if your desk allows you to do that.

People tilt their keyboards towards them because they find it easier for some reason, but in all actuality its bad for your wrists.

And don't be a jerk.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Re: Saw new mouse and keyboard today

Originally posted by Apple][Forever
Was at CompUSA today and they happened to have the new eMacs in. More so than the eMac itself, I was interested in the new non-Pro mice/keyboards, so I played with them for a bit (had time to kill before going back in to work).

They do look cheaper than the old ones. Some notes-
I just need to point out that there's no such thing as the "old ones". The keyboard and mouse are not redesigns of the apple pro keyboard and pro mouse. They are a completely different product. In all probability, this keyboard and mouse were designed soley for the eMac. If you want to compare it to the Pro Keyboard and Pro Mouse, go ahead, but only to point out what's different, not that one is better. Obviously one is better. One is Pro, and the other is not.

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
that's a bad link...little help someone?

Sorry. I meant this:

Attachments

• mouse1.jpg
    mouse1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 327

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by cubist
Good report, Apple][Forever.

Do you get the impression they are trying to ruggedize the keyboard for education?

Yeah, thats what i was thinknking. Maybe they were be broken a lot in svhools and stuff..?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by springscansing
Monkey, your sig isn't very nice to my dad and his Apple IIgs.
Then again, it's not nice to make fun of somebody with a lisp, even if they see a CD-R five-pack at CompUSA and think it means "contents of data register". ;)

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I may get a new eMac, but I'm definitely keeping my current white Pro Keyboard and Black Optical Mouse.

Once I start using input devices, I can't really move to a new one (unless of course the old ones break.) I don't like the new "no-gaps" design of the keyboards either. A little too cluttered if you ask me.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
theoreteically you could build an item to alter the titly, it wouldn't be that hard but it would look ugly. For me form follows function. I had to make fake legs for the pc keyboard because i broke the little plastic ones. No one knows yet and i'm hoping they won't until i move out for schooll in august.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Well if we want to see lower prices from Apple on entry level stuff they have to cut corners somewhere. The keyboard and mouse are the best place to start instead of cutting what is inside of the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.