Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MobyIck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Ok I just spent 12 hours (there was some sleep in the middle there) getting my Harmony 676 remote to work properly with AppleTV. In the end the setup proved to be quite simple and it (finally) works perfectly. I figured I'd post my guide to save all you folks the tedious trial and error pathway I had to go through.

I figured it would be simple just to do a learn IR command for each of the settings but that never worked properly and the remote just wouldn't sense the commands. When it did, the IR response for the apple TV was sluggish or very sketchy.

The trick is to just add a new apple computer device and then have your activity reference it for the buttons. I also changed my delays to 100ms.

Ok here's the step by step to save everyone some time

1 In your harmony Remote Software Click "Add Device"
2 Click "Computer", next, next
3 Select "Apple", next
4 Now type in EXACTLY "Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo", next
5 Check "do not have a remote" and hit next again
6 All info correct, next

Back to Main Screen
1 Click on the settings button for "Computer"
2 Click adjust delays
3 Change delays to 100 ms, done

The activity setup is done, if you want to be fancy, you can rename it "AppleTV" knock yourself out.

Now go to the Activities window
1 Click on add new activity
2 Manually add
3 Click "utility", next
4 generic activity, next,
5 Add or Remove all the devices you do or don't need. Make sure to leave your TV, computer/AppleTV, amplifier or any other devices you use while the AppleTV is displaying, then hit save
6 Video 6 for me (your settings will vary), next
7 don't need to set, next
8 amplifier input for me is video 4 (again your settings will vary), next
9 next next done

Please rename your activity from custom to AppleTV etc

Ok Now you have to assign the correct AppleTV buttons to the remote
1 Click on "customize buttons" for the AppleTV activity
2 Just go down and select the "AppleTV" for the device, and the appropriate commands. I also set Menu, A, B and the guide buttons to the AppleTV Guide so I could hit any of them to go backwards. Set your Volume up, mute and volume down to be controlled by your amplifier/TV. I set my left and right direction buttons to skip forward and back as I wasn't sure if the rewind and fast foward buttons send a longer IR pulse...
3 Click done and you're as good as gold.

Oh, forgot one last thing, you have to unsynch your AppleTV remote and synch the harmony (by clicking the play/ok button) for the AppleTV to recognize the harmony.

Hope that speed's things up for a few people. I set my little music button on the remote to my AppleTV activity.

Enjoy,
Moby Ick

gohornsgo

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2005
This worked perfectly. I tried to do it myself last night but gave up in hopes that someone would generously share their blood, sweat, and tears. Greatly appreciated!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Doesn't sound like that would allow you to pair the remote to the :apple:TV, would it?

My problem is that I have the iMac in the same room, but now I am more motivated to pick up a Harmony or other smart remote.

For now I've paired the iMac remote to the iMac and left the :apple:TV remote unpaired....

B

MobyIck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
It really works perfectly now. I think changing the delay times make a big difference. It works just like a big, less-missplacable apple remote.

Pairing does indeed work. you just have to have just unpaired it with the apple remote, and the pair remote button has to be highlighted. Hitting the ok on the harmony then takes care of it for you. i promise.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the guide. I tried setting my 880 up by learning commands and it sorta halfway worked. I think the speed setting you mentioned is the big fix.

pizenson

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2007
Thanks, I spent about 4 hrs today fighting with this. I couldn't get the scrolling to work right. Now it works perfectly.

nojstevens

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Thanks. Spent ages on this yesterday but didn't get it right. Was hoping someone would take the time to do this - amazed to see it so soon!

MobyIck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
My Harmony remote is a 676. I like the placement of the play/fast forward buttons. I'll probably have to upgrade to the RF remote in the near future though. Does the IR repeater work with the AppleTV as well?

gordonjones

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2002
i set mine up a couple days ago, so this advice wasn't around then. i have a 550 and set the appletv up as a medea center pc. i then had the harmony learn the various commands from the apple remote and that was it. i didn't have to pair the harmony with the appletv, though i will need turn off the ir port on my mackbook pro as i often us it while "working" in front of the tv and the harmony commands end up effecting both. i don't really need the ir port on the mackbook, so no loss.

anyway, took about 1/2 hour start to finish, no issues to speak of. guess i got lucky.

dch57

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks for posting. I have tried to program my Harmony 880 and had issues. I am clear on all steps except for your learning the remote.

"I also set Menu, A, B and the guide buttons to the AppleTV Guide so I could hit any of them to go backwards. Set your Volume up, mute and volume down to be controlled by your amplifier/TV. I set my left and right direction buttons to skip forward and back as I wasn't sure if the rewind and fast foward buttons send a longer IR pulse..."

Not sure what you did here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

MobyIck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Thanks for posting. I have tried to program my Harmony 880 and had issues. I am clear on all steps except for your learning the remote.

"I also set Menu, A, B and the guide buttons to the AppleTV Guide so I could hit any of them to go backwards. Set your Volume up, mute and volume down to be controlled by your amplifier/TV. I set my left and right direction buttons to skip forward and back as I wasn't sure if the rewind and fast foward buttons send a longer IR pulse..."

Not sure what you did here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Basically you just have to assign the AppleTV functions to the buttons you want to use. You pull down the little menu item until it says Apple/TV (or computer if you didn't change the name). YOu then will have about 6 choices, play, menu, direction left, right etc to assign to the button.

Check out the pic below.

Hope that helps
Moby Ick

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,743

dch57

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. I will try it and let you know if I was successful.:)

dch57

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2007
I tried this but still did not work. Some of the functions worked ie: up and down keys but menu or play did not. Any suggestions. thanks for you help on this.

MobyIck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
I tried this but still did not work. Some of the functions worked ie: up and down keys but menu or play did not. Any suggestions. thanks for you help on this.

Make sure when you put in the name of the mac mini you put it in exactly as I specified. If you just typed "Mac Mini" withouttt aall the GHz stuff it will assign the wrong discrete codes. Also make sure you pair the remote.

dch57

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2007
I copied the name right out of your post so that was correct. I am new to this and not sure what you mean by pairing. Is that done through the ATV? If yes can you explain what it does. Thanks

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
How do I extend the time a signal is sent?

TIA

Login
Devices
"Apple Media Center PC"
"Adjust Power Settings"
"I want to turn off the device when not in use"
"A button on the remote for on, a different button for Off"
"I don't have the original remote, but I know the commands that are used" (set it to Play)
Then set the Duration in milliseconds

Other speed settings:

Login
Devices
"Apple Media Center PC"
"Adjust the delays (Speed Settings)"
Have fun...

jameynielsen

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2007
This is just what I was looking for .... you guys are awesome. Like many others, I spent hours trying to figure out how to make this work.

One question, though: how do I "set the Duration in milliseconds" for the off command? There is no option that I see on the page where I tell it which button to use for "off".

Thanks again for all the help.

Login
Devices
"Apple Media Center PC"
"Adjust Power Settings"
"I want to turn off the device when not in use"
"A button on the remote for on, a different button for Off"
"I don't have the original remote, but I know the commands that are used" (set it to Play)
Then set the Duration in milliseconds

Other speed settings:

Login
Devices
"Apple Media Center PC"
"Adjust the delays (Speed Settings)"
Have fun...

ukrunr

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2007
Agreed, help on this thread has been great. This was the quickest set-up that got me 99% there. Unfortunately, the "off" doesn't work, as mentioned above there is no opportunity to insert a delay for power-off.

Exiting from adjust power settings and entering adjust delays lets you set the power-on delay, but that's not what we want.

Has anyone really got the power-off to work properly on a harmony remote - if so, please provide the steps.

Thanks!

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Agreed, help on this thread has been great. This was the quickest set-up that got me 99% there. Unfortunately, the "off" doesn't work, as mentioned above there is no opportunity to insert a delay for power-off.

Exiting from adjust power settings and entering adjust delays lets you set the power-on delay, but that's not what we want.

Has anyone really got the power-off to work properly on a harmony remote - if so, please provide the steps.

Thanks!

Agreed, I did all the above but could only get to the Power On Delay, Inter Key delay and Power off delay options. Could not get a prolong the signal delay or some such. Does this really work?

Alternatively, I could just hit the play button for 3.5 secs then power down the system. But the Harmony has me conditioned to one touch selections!

Thanks for the effort, anyway!

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Sorry guys. It was late, I was tired.

The millisecond setting only shows up on the "Off" command screen, just after the "On". Sorry, missed the fact you have to go past the "Command will power On your device" screen. It's subtle, need to read the screen header.

This is all true if you've set your :apple:TV up as an "Apple Media Center PC", as if it were a full Mac.

MobyIck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Sorry guys. It was late, I was tired.

The millisecond setting only shows up on the "Off" command screen, just after the "On". Sorry, missed the fact you have to go past the "Command will power On your device" screen. It's subtle, need to read the screen header.

This is all true if you've set your :apple:TV up as an "Apple Media Center PC", as if it were a full Mac.

I question if we really need to use the off command though. When the AppleTV is in sleep mode it is still on (the optical audio out is still bright red). Why not just leave it on all the time?

Moby Ick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.