Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Ok kids, this is a contest! For all! Yesterday I went into a tattoo place here in Chicago with the full intention of getting two matching tattoos right above each of my heels - a happy Mac on the one and a sad Mac on the other. This is the happy Mac, for those not in the know:
HAPPYMAC.jpg

The sad Mac has a frown, and X's for eyes.

Anyways. I was informed that the blocky bits would fuzz and round out over time, and that it would look bad in the future. The artist recommended just drawing it out rounded to begin with "as they would have intended it to look if they had the technology back then". Needless to say, I'm now conflicted. SO!

I invite you all to please submit your OWN versions and variations of the happy/sad Mac in this thread! It can be elaborate, or a simple line drawing like the original. If I see anything that just blows me away, it may just have the honor of being on me forever! If not, I'm probably still going with the rounded Mac idea :p .

And please, no whining that this is a bad idea, or tattoos are teh d3vilz or whatever. Leave that aspect be.

Post away!

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Anyways. I was informed that the blocky bits would fuzz and round out over time, and that it would look bad in the future. The artist recommended just drawing it out rounded to begin with "as they would have intended it to look if they had the technology back then". Needless to say, I'm now conflicted. SO!

While I don't want to go against what the tattoo artist said (he does have a point), I'd suggest you take a look at the geek tattoo gallery on BMEZine as you wouldn't be the first to have gotten a "pixel" based tattoo.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
how big are you going for?

i ask because that certainly has a bearing on how pixelated it can look. the bigger the less they'll 'fade'/'fuzz' or whatnot over time.

you might also want to talk to the artist about color. simply because you can get it colored in white, and that should help the pixelation last much longer too, but the white can and likely will fade too. depending on your skin tone and how much sun it gets.

quick edit:

another idea that comes to mind is that you could use happy/sad finder icon/faces too.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
They're going to be about an inch and a half tall. I've seen the geek tattoos page, but most of those are fresh from the parlor, so it's hard to tell if they fuzz at all. I hadn't thought of the white filler, since I've been told it looks bad on bigger tattoos, but on a small one such as this, perhaps it will work.

Thanks for the comments so far!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Hey, does anyone have a larger color version of this pic, by chance?

happyMac.gif

Did they make a color sad Mac? I only remember the b/w one from my pre-OS X days...

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Yeah, Ive seen that large one... its rather monsterous. I'm going for a much smaller, and much more subtle tattoo. The appointment is for Monday!

Yay!

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Yeah, Ive seen that large one... its rather monsterous. I'm going for a much smaller, and much more subtle tattoo. The appointment is for Monday!

Yay!

be sure to post some pictures of them, why not have the first
fa9c7d7d2df27d1338ad39edf61a367e.jpg

tattoo

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
I'm as big a Mac fan as anyone, I also have numerous tattoos, but getting a corporate tattoo is completely ridiculous. Might as well get the nike swoosh on your forehead.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I'm as big a Mac fan as anyone, I also have numerous tattoos, but getting a corporate tattoo is completely ridiculous. Might as well get the nike swoosh on your forehead.

You're 100% right, this is the exact same thing. I am a total tool, thanks for making sure I knew.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Not sure I really like these, but this might be how the faces would look without the pixelation. Faces from the older icons with the pixels taken out, then the colors from the newer set added in. Green face on the sick mac, because, well, it's a sick Mac.

Attachments

• macpair.gif
    macpair.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 707
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.