Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I let it sync overnight (roughly 7 hours) and it only made it though 5GB! I've got a linksys WRT54G running hyperwrt bios. My computer connection shows it's connected at full 54MBPS (atv doesn't report a connection speed)

My computer sitting in the same room can download things from the internet at over 800k/sec so I know its not the connection (My computer shows roughly 4/5 bars and the atv shows between 3~4 bars); not to mention downloads from the LAN should be way faster as my modem is only 8mbit.

I've tried using my old Airport Express to help boost the signel but I think it made the connection even slower.

Anyone else having this problem?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Streaming works just fine (doing a 1100kbit stream now) ....

Wonder if its a bug with the sync feature ... anyone else have a linksys router?

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
You got a problem. My 25GB of synching material only takes a minute or two.

It only took you a minute or two to move 25GB of data on a Wireless G network? Really?

To the original poster: You could try connecting the ATV and your computer with an ethernet cable and do the first sync that way. After the first sync you'll be moving relatively small amounts of data, so your wireless network should handle it fine.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Maybe switch to an Airport Extreme base station?

To costly since I don't have a n capable card. Not to mention my room mates would have to upgrade.

The performance of a n-network degrades if any g cards are in the network (or so I've read).

I've got another wireless router laying around to see if it's just the linksys router. Was just wondering if people were having the same problem with linksys / non apple routers.

TJM141@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2007
I'm using an N network and I've noticed its very slow syncing if the :apple: TV is in use. When I place the :apple: TV in standby mode (push and hold the play/pause button for 6 seconds)and then sync it is MUCH quicker.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I let it sync overnight (roughly 7 hours) and it only made it though 5GB! I've got a linksys WRT54G running hyperwrt bios. My computer connection shows it's connected at full 54MBPS (atv doesn't report a connection speed)

My computer sitting in the same room can download things from the internet at over 800k/sec so I know its not the connection (My computer shows roughly 4/5 bars and the atv shows between 3~4 bars); not to mention downloads from the LAN should be way faster as my modem is only 8mbit.

I've tried using my old Airport Express to help boost the signel but I think it made the connection even slower.

Anyone else having this problem?

Do the maths: 5 GB in 7 hours is about 200KByte per second or 1.6Mbit per second. That isn't slow, that is just plain wrong. Have a look in Activity Monitor on the Macintosh you are sync'ing to, click on Network, check if it is actually copying or if it does nothing (for example, if your Mac went to sleep after half an hour of syncing, that would explain things).

Check if the linksys has any complaints. You probably can access it by typing http://192.168.1.1/ or http://10.0.0.2 or something similar into Safari; check your manual if none of these two works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.