Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-MobyIck

I've only found one reason: heat.

When asleep, I've noticed this thing only generates a temperature of 40,000 kelvin, vs. 3m when on - ok, I exaggerate. But you get my point.

imdgp

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2007
Setting off signal duration

Hi folks,

I have successfully setup the harmony 880 except for the off function - I am not clear on how to increase the duration of the off signal to more than 6 seconds. You can additional commands to the off function, but they are all discrete signals, not one long signal as is require to turn off :apple: TV.

cheers

David

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
imgdp,
I'm in the same boat as you. Everything works except for power-off. I also, don't have an option for the power-off delay. I only have options for:

Power On Delay:
Inter-key Delay:
Inter-Device Delay:

Anyone else have an idea of how we can get our Harmony Remotes to power off our AppleTV's automatically?

Thanks!

seanb724

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2007
I'm in the same boat as the other 880 owners. I actually set mine up as a digital set top box, an Apple A1153, not a mac mini, and all the keys work fine.

But power off/standby does not, and I don't have the options to set the hold on the play to 3500ms. I did call Harmony to ask if they could manually set that for me, outside the gui, as they have done something like that for me in the past with a discrete ir code, but they said they would not do it now for the @tv, as they don't yet officially support it. They said in the next few weeks they will support it, and at that time, if power off/standby does not work, to call back..

My harmony desktop s/w is 7.2.1, which is the latest code.

/Sean

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I am happy to confirm that the above video is correct, if you use an iPod as your device, your harmony will turn off your appletv.

However, he doesn't cover (in the video) the fact that you really need to go into the AppleTV activity and map all the buttons correctly (as shown earlier in this thread).

cool :)

claumac

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2007
I have an 880 and can't get the direction arrows to work while in the menu. Any suggetions? I ahve the device set up as directed abaove as a mac mini.

filchy

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2007
I haven't seen this documented, although I may have just overlooked it. Hold down the Menu and REW buttons for a few seconds, and the Apple TV allows you to pair an ADDITIONAL remote with it. So I have my Harmony remote AND apple remote both working at the same time. Interestingly, I learned the Reset command (Menu and - for a few seconds) while only the Apple remote was paired, and the command only works with the Harmony remote while both remotes are paired.

But Reset does work. That way you can access the Diagnostics and Reset menu with the Harmony remote also. w00t!

EDIT: I was playing around with different button combos and initially posted the wrong combo.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have an 880 and can't get the direction arrows to work while in the menu. Any suggetions? I ahve the device set up as directed abaove as a mac mini.

Just go into "customize buttons" and map the up/down/left/right arrows to up/down/ffwd/rewind. Works perfect.

macrobat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Ok I got it to work just about to perfection the only thing is the ok button on the harmony remote to work I change used the customize buttons option but it doesnt recognize the command please some advice

macrobat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
does the ok button work on the harmony remote for apple tv for everyone else I cant seem to make it work even if I customize the remote buttons

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
does the ok button work on the harmony remote for apple tv for everyone else I cant seem to make it work even if I customize the remote buttons

What are you mapping this to? I set up the OK button to play/pause and it works fine.

blackbones

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
Philadelphia
thanks so much for the guide. Managed to set up everything perfectly except for the power down on the appletv.

im using a harmony 550. I followed the supplemental directions for setting up the power off but unfortunately the harmony walkthrough doesnt continue on to an "off" button set up after the on button set up.

Any ideas?

vinny2cubes

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2007
Crap. I've got a Harmony 1000 and I've tried both methods for setting up my AppleTV and I can't get the buttons to map out right. I've even learned the raw codes. Seems like the only button that I've got to work is the right direction arrow on the direction wheel.

Do the raw codes override the activity button codes?

If you set up the buttons using raw codes in the device list, then go to the activity, are these the codes you're adjusting when it asks you to change the behavior of buttons?

In order to pair the remote w/ Apple TV, is the Harmony transmitting both buttons ( menu and rewind ) at the same time?

Can anyone give me help with this?

Thanks in advance

vinny2cubes

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2007
A minor miracle just occurred. Maybe Logitech has updated their database to include the AppleTV. I was about to give up on getting my 1000 to work with the Apple TV but decided to try one last experiment. I set up a device as a computer media center PC, told it was brand Apple, and the model was "AppleTV." Not expecting it to work, I pulled up the button page and it had all the commands correct, the buttons all mapped correctly and worked the first time I tried it !!!! One mistake I corrected was to set the up down arrow keys to volume up and down. I didn't do this at first since I mistakenly thought that would screw up my receiver adjusting the volume. Now it goes up and down through the lists and the 180 degree arrow is the menu button.

Didn't have to screw around with pairing the remote either. It just worked right out of the box. BTW I have two of the little white Apple remotes, and they both worked with the Apple TV without pairing or un-pairing. not sure why?

Someone else want to verify this?

flemingljr

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2007
A minor miracle just occurred. Maybe Logitech has updated their database to include the AppleTV. I was about to give up on getting my 1000 to work with the Apple TV but decided to try one last experiment. I set up a device as a computer media center PC, told it was brand Apple, and the model was "AppleTV." Not expecting it to work, I pulled up the button page and it had all the commands correct, the buttons all mapped correctly and worked the first time I tried it !!!! One mistake I corrected was to set the up down arrow keys to volume up and down. I didn't do this at first since I mistakenly thought that would screw up my receiver adjusting the volume. Now it goes up and down through the lists and the 180 degree arrow is the menu button.

Didn't have to screw around with pairing the remote either. It just worked right out of the box. BTW I have two of the little white Apple remotes, and they both worked with the Apple TV without pairing or un-pairing. not sure why?

Someone else want to verify this?

ya, this works, even turns the Apple TV off!!! I had to update some buttons under the digital music activity, but that was pretty easy. I entered the model as "Apple TV", but "AppleTV" might work as well.

dr01dy

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
Hello,

I would just like to add it took me a total of 5 minutes to setup my harmony 550 with my appletv.

I setup a device a a media computer with the manufacture as apple then the model as appletv.

Once this was completed I just setup an activity that used my amp / tv and the appletv.

I knew going in that it was going to be a 1 2 3 thing instead of a pain simply love this remote and my new appletv.

1st post !

dr01dy

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Crap. I've got a Harmony 1000 and I've tried both methods for setting up my AppleTV and I can't get the buttons to map out right. I've even learned the raw codes. Seems like the only button that I've got to work is the right direction arrow on the direction wheel.

Do the raw codes override the activity button codes?

If you set up the buttons using raw codes in the device list, then go to the activity, are these the codes you're adjusting when it asks you to change the behavior of buttons?

In order to pair the remote w/ Apple TV, is the Harmony transmitting both buttons ( menu and rewind ) at the same time?

Can anyone give me help with this?

Thanks in advance

Im on the same boat with you bro. I got the Harmony 1000 also. Im wondering, how do you even Sync the Harmony with the AppleTV. Thats what im confused about

defsquad

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
birmingham, alabama
I haven't seen this documented, although I may have just overlooked it. Hold down the Menu and REW buttons for a few seconds, and the Apple TV allows you to pair an ADDITIONAL remote with it. So I have my Harmony remote AND apple remote both working at the same time. Interestingly, I learned the Reset command (Menu and - for a few seconds) while only the Apple remote was paired, and the command only works with the Harmony remote while both remotes are paired.

But Reset does work. That way you can access the Diagnostics and Reset menu with the Harmony remote also. w00t!

EDIT: I was playing around with different button combos and initially posted the wrong combo.

Filchy, which Harmony remote do you have, and can you be specific about which remote you did Menu + Rewind on? I'm having a time pairing my Harmony 550 to the AppleTV. If both are paired, fine, but I mostly want the Harmony 550 to pair. Thanks for the detailed help.

Yeah I simply cannot get my Harmony 550 to pair. I tried going through the Pair/Unpair menu on the AppleTV using the included AppleTV remote, then pressing the "Ok" button on the Harmony 550 as described by the OP. Bottom line, help! Could someone please post step by step what to do to Pair the Harmony (550 in my case, or any Harmony remote) to the AppleTV.

Thanks again!

mspeck

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
How do I unsync the AppleTV remote?

Great walkthru, MobyIck! But to unsync my ATV remote, is it just a matter of removing the battery or ? There doesn't seem to be a setting for this.

Thanks so much!

filchy

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2007
Filchy, which Harmony remote do you have, and can you be specific about which remote you did Menu + Rewind on? I'm having a time pairing my Harmony 550 to the AppleTV. If both are paired, fine, but I mostly want the Harmony 550 to pair. Thanks for the detailed help.

Yeah I simply cannot get my Harmony 550 to pair. I tried going through the Pair/Unpair menu on the AppleTV using the included AppleTV remote, then pressing the "Ok" button on the Harmony 550 as described by the OP. Bottom line, help! Could someone please post step by step what to do to Pair the Harmony (550 in my case, or any Harmony remote) to the AppleTV.

Thanks again!

Sorry I didn't see this post until now. I'm sure you have your problem fixed by now. I have the Harmony 659. It sounds like you are doing the same thing I did to pair my Harmony, so I'm not sure why yours won't pair correctly unless it's a model-specific issue.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-filchy, defsquad

Have you tried a ground-up configuration of a Media Center PC, Manufaturer: Apple?

I originally had a Mac Mini in there, and this worked for that, and what do you know, it works for the AppleTV too...

naftalim

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I'm not sure if people are aware that the Harmony Software has an Apple TV Device setup. Its under Computer > Media PC. I use my Harmony One to control my Apple TV just like any other device I have.

GatorDeb

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2007
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :D

I lost my Apple TV remote (it was just a matter of time) so I googled Harmony 880 AppleTV and this came up! Already have it working, it is AWESOME. THANK YOU again!!

Also, you made me realize that I could have two devices going at the same time. Up to now I haven't used an activity to watch TV, I would go to devices and use PVR to control the PVR and switch to the TV when I needed to change the volume, then back to the PVR. Thanks to you I have a Watch TV activity and can have both PVR and TV buttons going on at the same time!!! YOU ARE AWESOME !!! :D :D

P.S. after I set up the device and activity, I just started clicking remote buttons and it worked. No pairing necessary (I have the 880).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.