Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Dick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
I have a 60 gig ATA hard drive (it's my boot drive) in my Dual 1.4 gig G4. Can I install it in one of the open drive bays in my new Mac Pro Dual 2.66? If not, what would be the fastest way to transfer the 51 gigs of data, files, photos, games, etc. onto my Mac Pro hard drive???:)

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
You can install it in one of the empty optical drive bays, I have one installed on my Mac Pro, it works great. The other drive bays in the Mac Pro are for serial ATA drives, so in the empty optical drive bay slot is your only choice.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It'd probably be easier to just get a Firewire enclosure for standard ATA disks and use that. Once you've done the transfer you'll be left with an external drive which is always handy...

Mac Dick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
Thanks for the help...

You can install it in one of the empty optical drive bays, I have one installed on my Mac Pro, it works great. The other drive bays in the Mac Pro are for serial ATA drives, so in the empty optical drive bay slot is your only choice.

Thanks for the help. That means I can follow the installation directions in my manual. :)

Mac Dick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
I have an enclosure

It'd probably be easier to just get a Firewire enclosure for standard ATA disks and use that. Once you've done the transfer you'll be left with an external drive which is always handy...

I have an enclosure for an external 130 gig drive that died. I'll put it in there.

Thanks for the help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.