Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
If there a way to make change the order that the AppleTV puts media on its harddrive? My Movies and TV shows take of more then the harddrive of the AppleTV

I'd rather have all my TV shows, some of my Movies instead of all of my movie and some of my TV shows. (I can deal with only streaming audio, but TV show and movie take more time)

Bressler

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2007
In iTunes, select the ATV device, then go through the tabs telling it what you want to have synced. Only that will go to the hard drive. You can get to everything by streaming, also.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
In iTunes, select the ATV device, then go through the tabs telling it what you want to have synced. Only that will go to the hard drive. You can get to everything by streaming, also.

Yup...but my question was is there a way to tell it what to sync, and what to stream. If you don't tell it to sync, it won't stream either.

Bressler

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2007
In ATV look at the "Sources". The top one is ATV - i.e. what is on the hard disk that got there through sync. Next will be Macs/PCs that the ATV knows about (up to 5). If you select one of those, you will see everything that is in that computers iTunes. That will be streamed when you select it.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
In ATV look at the "Sources". The top one is ATV - i.e. what is on the hard disk that got there through sync. Next will be Macs/PCs that the ATV knows about (up to 5). If you select one of those, you will see everything that is in that computers iTunes. That will be streamed when you select it.

Oh, but the ATV currently stream anything not on my Harddrive, if there a way to tell it what to download, and then what not to download(therefor forcing it to stream it)

I get what your saying (now), but I'd rather not have to switch my sources. Shouldn't there be a way from my Mac that tell it "Sync "x", only stream "y"
Currently it lets be get to everything on my main iTunes, but I have to stream stuff I'd rather not.

Mr.A

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2007
I get what your saying (now), but I'd rather not have to switch my sources.

That's the only way.... synced content is on your :apple: TV drive, & you have to switch sources to access the streaming content.

That'd be one of my top feature-requests as well... ditch the need to switch sources. Display the entire library & play it from the :apple: TV's drive if it's been synced or stream it if it hasn't. Seems like a fairly simple thing to implement.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
That's the only way.... synced content is on your :apple: TV drive, & you have to switch sources to access the streaming content.

That'd be one of my top feature-requests as well... ditch the need to switch sources. Display the entire library & play it from the :apple: TV's drive if it's been synced or stream it if it hasn't. Seems like a fairly simple thing to implement.

Bummer..thanks for you help though! Mr. A and Bressler !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.