Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Its pretty slick , but not great. I ran the Pc version through VPC to see how far it has to come and well its got a long way....

Needs, native aqua widgets for starters. But the speed is nice, also a new icon would be great

physicsnerd

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Why is Phoenix being ported over with Camino based on the same code? Is there any advantage to using Phoenix vs. Camino? Or is it just another option kind of thing?

Not trying to start a flamewar, just interested in the differences / advantages?

Physicsnerd

------------------------
"Even logic must give way to physics" - Spock

astray

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
uk
Main difference between the 2 is Firebird is based on the XUL toolkit which means its interface is truly cross platform, whereas Camino is based on cocoa. Firebird is also the new direction the mozilla is taking so it will become Mozilla browser after the current mozilla 1.4 is finished. Also there are a few feature/ui differences, firebird is aimed at offering only the essential functions, but with the ability to add more through extensions.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
firebird is wintels best browser, surpaces anything. Its great for PC

orangefoodie

macrumors member
Phoenix is the best browser on the planet ... IMHO. The mac version isn't as up to par, but I prefer it to Camino for the only reason that it actually lines up the tabs on the left --- hopefully it'll get better. It'll also be interesting how Camino works out into the scheme of things, when Phoenix/Firebird (I still don't understand how that name's cleared when there's a databasing program named Firebird, #1 on google search) and Safari seem ready to be the major contenders for the IE-unhappy folks...

pilotgi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
I'm trying out the Linux version. Some of the icons look a little "XPish" but one thing I noticed right away is the scrolling. It's very quick and responsive. Much better than Phoenix, Moz 1.3, or Camino.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Looks pretty good. Takes a little longe than I would like to startup, but other than that... Still prefer Camino, but this is better than a lot of other browsers out there.

Dan

Goblin2099

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
New York City
Is it just me, or is scrolling on Firebird OS X painfully slow? I even turned off smoothscroll manually, and my processor still jumps to 100% whenever I try scrolling down. Interestingly, hitting the down arrow on my keyboard is a lot worse than clicking the downarrow on the scrollbar with my mouse.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Goblin2099
Is it just me, or is scrolling on Firebird OS X painfully slow? I even turned off smoothscroll manually, and my processor still jumps to 100% whenever I try scrolling down. Interestingly, hitting the down arrow on my keyboard is a lot worse than clicking the downarrow on the scrollbar with my mouse.

I downloaded it just try it out. I noticed the same thing. Scrolling is a fairly basic thing to do, no?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Doesn't do it in Safari.

Firebird is terribly slow! When i sized the window to a large size, it was very choppy and slow.

TiBook 1ghz 64mb VRAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.