Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
a friend's macbook won't boot up. the computer turns on and stays stuck on the grey screen with the apple. usually, the small loading pinwheel shows up as the system is booting but that does not occur.

occasionally, the apple flashes and a "no entry" type sign shows up...

i reset the PRAM and that did not alleviate anything.

suggestions?

EDIT: It can load the Mac OS X install cd
when i hold down option key to choose to boot from the Macintosh HD it does what is described above?

EDIT2: booting onto the Mac OSX install cd I tried to verify/repair the disk...the errors that came up where: Invalid Volume Header, Invalid node structure, Volume check failed.

then a pop up with "ERROR: The underlying task reported failure on exit"

any advice?

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Call apple, or bring it to the Apple Store. Good Luck

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It could be failed hard drive, but more likely it's a disk directory error which can be fixed, though not by Disk Utility. This sounds like a job for Disk Warrior or Tech Tool.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Harddrive

Yes,

This is most likely a hard drive failure. (damaged, or corrupted boot sector perhaps)
If it's still under warranty, bring it back and have it repaired/replaced, don't even try anything else if you don't have to.

Diskrepair, Datarescue, and File salvage are all programs that could help you at least getting some of your data back if you can boot of an OSX cd, and have an external drive with those apps on it.
Oh, and did he make a back up?? ........................ Where is Time machine when you need it....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.